HybridZ

Need help, Z nearly Finished so close yet so far!

First off let me say thank you to everyone on the board for all of the inspiration over the years. The Hybrid Z community has been one of my greatest resources for my own little project. I don’t post much I love to listen and take the entire information in. however sometimes I cannot find the correct keywords for the information I need. Soon I shall head home to California and in a period of 4 days MUST complete my SBC Z. All I must do is wire up the fuel pump a Holley Red top, and the Ford Taurus Electric fan. I have other minor work to finish however that is not of major concern currently. Sadly my JTR book was just destroyed thanks to my 10 week old German Shepard puppy. And I cannot seem to remember how to wire the pump up. I do remember that my Z a 1975 280 had three wires running to its old electric fuel pump (anybody heard of this?). My only question about the ford Taurus fan is this how do you wire it up so that when the car is running it constantly runs the high speed setting , or am I looking to burn up my fan motor doing this. Should stick with the 2 speed setting like all the other write up’s suggested? Id prefer it to stay on constantly though. This also is another three wire object, (I thought you only needed a ground and power source). This Z has really been an experience for me. A love affair of sorts. A passion. Jeremy Clarkson once said about supercars “You can’t rationalize cars like these, they aren’t something you buy with your head; you buy them with your heart because you love them. And who could explain loveâ€. I love my Z.

My Z Story (for those of you who are really board)

It all started New Years Eve 2001 I was at a friends house drinking. We were a small group and we loved cars. I was 18 and going to be headed off to boot camp soon. My friend pulled up a video “you have to see this†he said. It was the Darius Z. I fell in love. I had to have one. I thought non-stop about that car and how build my own Z throughout boot camp. I researched hunted around for over a year. Then it happened to fall into my hands. It turned out that my friend’s father had a 1975 280Z that he kept in storage. He never really talked about it so even my friend didn’t know about it. One day I brought the subject up with him about a Small Block conversion. He told me the old inline 6 in his Z had enough power. We talked about his old Z for a bit, and then I asked “what ever happened to that carâ€. It turns out he had it sitting in storage for years then next day and 800 dollars later it was mine. It ran well. Of course being in the military I never really could put the time tighter to swap the small block in. The Z due to many circumstances had become my daily driver. I started to accumulate parts then I was shipped off to Iraq. Thinking about driving my small block Z at times was all I had. The hope. It was strange how a car gave me hope, but it did. A year after that I was out of the military. Yes we have just passed threw my military service in less then a paragraph. Anyways now that I had another daily driver. It was time. I started my swap. Things went well but as always I hit a few bumps in the road. And due to timing I had to leave the car at my mom’s house. Thanks MOM! Her garage was empty and the car fit so nicely in it. So I moved to Mississippi to be with the love of my life. Everything was going well. I was in love with a beautiful woman, but their was something missing. The Z. Then the stupid storm hit. Katrina destroyed my daily driver (and my house). And that was that. We relocated and started over. The whole time the Z sat. On the other side of the country waiting. I was able last January to sneak home to California for a few days, and I got the motor to fire up in car. I would have driven it however I lacked a running fuel pump. And I had a flight to catch. So it has been waiting. So close to completion. I now have my chance to make the car a drivable automobile and bring it to my new house. So I must complete it hearing that motor roar inside the engine bay (all be it my friend was pouring fuel directly into the carb) really did it. My current daily driver is falling apart nothing can stop that, every time I get in it I wish I was in my Z. I hope that I can finish the Z on this trip and bring it home with me. It would mean a lot to me now. I have grown personally I have a wonderful woman a great job (firefighter) and a puppy (can’t win them all). All I need in my life is my Z. I don’t often ask for help, I help others. This time however I need the assistance any information would be appreciated. I have 3 weeks to prepare so I would like all to be in order for when the time comes.

If I remember correctly, JTR does not recommend using the stock wiring for the fuel pump. There is some discussion in the manual about using a fuel pump switch from a Plymouth horizon that ties into the oil pressure sensor. I think they did it that way (as opposed to a key on 12v source) so you continue to pump while cranking. I am personally going to just wire mine up to a key only source. If you engine is tuned properly, you shouldn't need to crank so long that it sucks all the fuel out of a primed fuel line.

*Edit*

As for the fan, my car is wired up to a 150-degree snap switch and relay with a manual over-ride. I mentioned in another post on LS1 wiring that when using the 2-speed fan that using the high speed only is not the best of ideas. Rather than burning up the fan motor, you may fry the wiring. My buddy did it on his 86 mustang. It fried all the way into the dash on what I believe was a 14-gauge wire, but it may have been 12 gauge.

just my 2 cents.

This is what the JTR book says.

"the dodge omni and plymouth horizon use an electric fuel pump and they use a combination oil pressure light/fuel pump switch. It looks l ike a conventional oil pressure warning switch, but it has 3 terminals. One terminal goes to the oil pressure warning light (which the z does not have) and the other terminals are for the fuel pump. When there is no oil pressure, the fuel pump is turned off. Where there is oil pressure the pump is on. The chevy verga and monza use a similare switch.

Another concern with the fuel pump wiring is to have the pump turned on during started op. It the carb fuel bowl is dry, the battery may go dead trying to crank the engine long enough to get oil pressure. *(im my own words that means, wire it so the fuel pump runs when the key is on the on position)

Do not connect the wire that operates the starter solenoid to the fuel pump, because when the oil pressure switch turns on the fuel pump, the starter will also be turned on. If you do this one, youll never do it again.

If you are using the HEI dizzy, the easiest way to wire the fuel pump for cranking conditions is to connect the green - white (240z) or black - blue (260/280z) wire to the fuel pump wiring.

If your using a point type dizzy, connect the fuel pump to the R terminal, on the chevy starter solenoid. This terminal is normally used to bypass the ballast resistor. It ensures that the dizzy gets max volts during cranking

Fuel pump switch

Use the oil pressure light/fuel pump switch from a 78-80 dodge omni, or plymouth horizon. Wire it t o the v-8 datsun as shown below.

The book shows a circle with a terminal at 12 o'clock 6, and 9

at 12 (the positive (+) side of ignition coil or splice into the "bat" on the HEI

at 6 (To fuel pump280z green-blue wire)

at 9 (to oil pressure warning light)

I hope that helps man.

I too am in the army, and i too bought a z for the conversion, and turned it into a daily driver. I to am in iraq, and using the z as something to look forward to.

I too wont have time till i get out (less than 2 years!!!)

Hope that helped brother

HarrisonTX thanks for the info. that is much easier then i rember. I wasnt in the Army however i did serve with 1st ID in Ar Ramdi as a Marine. Good times looking back however when it was bad it was bad. Rember to destroy all them tastey KDD products. They were so good!

Forces , that is what i needed to hear. to push me to get the fan done right. thanks !

I have a 280Z and wired the fuel pump to run when ever the key was on.

It drove me nuts! Also I worried that it would never shut off in an accident.

It only cost a few bucks to buy a oil pressure switch. I but a tee next to the oil pressure gauge sending unit and wired my fuel pump relay to the oil pressure switch, the pump will not come on until the motor has turned over a few times raising the oil pressure. Best part is that I do not hear the fuel pump ever, the motor is running almost as fast as the pump comes on..

If you would like a copy of my wiring diagram which I made showing the fuel pump and my tarus fan just ask, and make sure you can handle a 1.5 meg file in your email...

I'm sure you can still use the factory fuel pump wiring, just use the Omni/Horizon switch to turn the FPR on and off, and wire the fuel pump in using a test light. (I believe it was grounded thru the FPR and the FPR turned on with power but it's easy to rewire it the other way...as in you can still use the FPR to switch ground but use the Omni switch to ground the relay coil on the FPR)

I also bought a Z car with those plans, and it ended up as a daily driver, then I scored an L28ET for cheap so that's the route I'm going for now.

I had a grand time assembling and wiring up a megasquirt, look up my install and you'll see how the Fpr is wired in a Z car.

I now have a Q45 for daily duties so the Z is getting as much attention as I can give it inbetween underway periods (I'm in the Navy)

I get out in about 5 months, then it's a nice long trip across the country back to Allentown, PA.

lovemyv8280z,

That's a great plan, the JTR manual suggests it, but I would also recommend wiring a cranking circuit so the FP runs while cranking (this way you'll still get fuel even if it's cold out and the oil pressure doesn't come up right away, especially in Michigan!) Otherwise you'll be cranking for awhile.

The factory FPR works great, it's there, and it's easy to wire to work how you want it, just my .02

It supplies +12v to the fuel pump but the field coil side is always grounded (the ign. switch provides +12v while cranking, then the factory AFM provides power when the motor is running.)

It's easy enough to wire the omni switch to provide power to the relay instead of directly from the ign coil source.

Even if you don't use the Factory FPR I would recommend using the omni switch to turn on a Relay instead of powering the fuel pump directly, electric fuel pumps take a lot of current to run.

There was a reason the alternator on the carbureted Z's was 30a and the EFI Zs had a 60A alternator.

I have a 280Z and wired the fuel pump to run when ever the key was on.

It drove me nuts! Also I worried that it would never shut off in an accident.

It only cost a few bucks to buy a oil pressure switch. I but a tee next to the oil pressure gauge sending unit and wired my fuel pump relay to the oil pressure switch, the pump will not come on until the motor has turned over a few times raising the oil pressure. Best part is that I do not hear the fuel pump ever, the motor is running almost as fast as the pump comes on..

If you would like a copy of my wiring diagram which I made showing the fuel pump and my tarus fan just ask, and make sure you can handle a 1.5 meg file in your email...

As a matter of fact, I just converted to the JTR wirring on the fuel pump today. I haven't run the engine that way yet, but it DOES seem like a better st up. Those electric pumps are a but loud.

I also used a Omni pressure sw to pull in the pump relay, forget the wiring to power the pump when the engine is cranking (if it's carburated). There is plenty of fuel in the fuel bowels to give the engine a squirt of fuel to start. My 350 seems to build oil pressure about a second after the key is turned. I know some people here that have wired switches to operate the pump from the dash, very bad idea, I wouldn't want to be in an accident and be unable to shut off that fuel pump, to me it's a safety measure.

Thanks for all the information guys. Really making me start to think about eletronics in a whole diffrent way. Not just wire to hook up so that the car runs but also as safety mesaures. I have an exelent write up on the Ford Taurus Fan install if anybody would like. however i have been snooping around online and was wondering if anybody was just using a baisc eletric fan wireing kit such as these, or if anybody had any thoughts about them.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=29209&parentCategoryId=11471

or

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=126466&parentCategoryId=11471

Im thinking of purchasing the top kit, im unsure about the MrGasket. any input?