HybridZ

Rear disc brake conversion completed

My latest, and last, brake modification is complete. It uses '87 supra front rotors (12" X .875") with Outlaw 4000 series calipers (1.25" pistons). These complement the front brakes (13" rotor and 1.75" piston caliper). It was pretty much a straight forward install with the exception of fabricating a caliper mounting bracket. A sawsall, drill press, welder, grinder, and a weekend took care of that issue.

Forgive me for the bling (red caliper paint), but the finish on these calipers had gotten pretty bad.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Terry, these brackets look extremely beefy (overkill?) and I'm sure they'll last longer than the rest of the car :mrgreen: (good work by the way). What thickness of stell did you use...3/8"? I'm just curious.

I always admire your car whenever I see it. Great inspiration for me :2thumbs:

Davy

Yeah, I allways overbuild this stuff (can't help it). I just look at the OEM stuff, and use it as a basis for my choice of material. The Maxima brackets on the car had some pretty thick flanges so I based my bracket on them. I use 3/8" for the main "C", and then used 1/4" steel angle for the rest of it.

My main concern was in that going from a floater to a fixed caliper, that I needed the added rigidity. This may be unfounded, but it was in the back of my mind anyway. I have seen this stuff made all the way down to 3/16" steel in some applications, but these in particular had no offset angles and were flat plates with very short lengths.

I had a local machine shop turn them for me. Dang, as much money as I send his way, I could have bought a nice mini-lathe and turned all of this stuff myself! Remember, I don't have an e-brake, and that bothers me more every year I drive this thing. Some day that will go on as well.

The only thing I've got is the below drawing that I used to get started (the dimensions are my measurements, but the math and intuition seem to verify they are correct). After I cut the main "C" out of the plate, I bolted it onto the strut (I used the strut to mark the holes for drilling to insure all holes were perfectly positioned being I do not have any fancy CNC equipment), attached the rotor, placed the caliper over the rotor and used compressed air to hold it in the correct position, and then positioned the angle properly with respect to the caliper mounting bosses and the "C" plate to mark the caliper mounting holes as well as tack the angle onto the "C" plate. Then I disassembled all of this, finished drilling the holes, and welding the two bracket pieces together. Even though it sounds like a lot of work, it only took one entire dedicated weekend from start to finish. I used a 3 1/4" hole saw for the center of the "C" plate. This took the most patience of all the tasks involved with this fabrication.

standard.jpg