HybridZ

Not starting

Here's the story so far:

Car is a GS31 that's had the original L20A removed and replaced with an L28 by PO, whoever did the swap left all the L20 EFI gear (manifolds, ECU, AFM etc) there and hooked it up to the L28. Car ran fine when I first got it, started first go.

Since putting the motor back together and doing a few laps at Teretonga (a local race track), I've had the car out a couple of times, without any major problems. She seemed to run a little rich on cold starts (a bit smokey when revved but it cleared as it warmed up) and drove fine.

On Saturday, drove it around town a little bit, bought it out home and parked it in the hay shed. Saturday night, had to move it out, started fine. Did what we had to do in the shed, so I started it back up, moved it inside and parked it in the middle of the shed.

Sunday, had to move it from where it was, wouldn't start. Cranked a coupe of times and coughed. Did this three times, then just plain wouldn't start and hasn't since.

I've checked, it's got spark, air and fuel. Nothing had changed on the car since parking it Saturday night and trying to start it Sunday morning, so it's got me stumped! Now when I try to start it, it smells like it's flooding, so I checked the coolant temp sender and the thermotime switch, both check out ok (checked the coolant one through the harness at the ECU, and was still fine).

What else could it possibly be? Is it possible for the cold start valves to stick open? I know the thermotime switch should only allow the cold start valve to open for a set amount of time, should I just remove the cold start valve and see what happens when cranking?

What happened to me on 280zxt was that i tried to start without the spark lead to the coil connected. This in effect flooded the engine. When I reconnected no start but did smell fuel. Finally disconnected the fuel pump opened the throttle wide and cranked a long time she finally sputtered and spit and then ran for 5-6 seconds on the fuel in the manifold. Reconnected fuel pump and it started okay but I left the throttle wide open when i tried the restart. It was a little sputtery but once warmed up was okay and not a problem again.

Try some starter fluid if it it starts spinning up with the starter fluid the its injectors and fuel pressure related

Never got that far tonight, but started checking things again. It's definitely got spark and air. Pulled the cold start valve right out, made no difference, so hooked it up running into a container and saw that it worked fine, sprayed fuel for a few seconds then stopped.

When I first checked the TPS at the switch, I got an open circuit no matter where I held the throttle, so I cleaned the contacts and it made an instant difference to the readings.

Could a faulty TPS connection cause this sort of problem, or should I continue looking elsewhere?