HybridZ

questions on a 5 speed conversion from auto.

phantaz

Ive finally had about enough of my automatic... well actually trying to find one that works right =) this is my 3rd used and reverse is almost out so ive decided to switch to a 5 speed.

ive run quite a few searches and got most of my answers from them but a few i couldnt find or search correctly for it. I currently have a 79zx with 3speed auto... i have a 80 zx donor car with a 5 speed in it.

1. with a swap im assuming the starter from my auto will not work with a 5 speed tranny??

2. are the drive shafts the same length or do i need to swap that as well.

3. ive read in a few posts that the rear end in the auto is a bit weaker so why i have this apart should i just pull the whole assembly or can i just do the tranny?? the rear end is fine in my current car , no whine or bad u joints on the half shafts, so i dont what to swap to an unknown unless i need to.

4. since these cars are mostly interchangeable im "assuming" the 5 speed will bolt up where the auto was minus the trans mount or are they the same??

i know about the pedel assembly and master and slave cylinder, lines and mounting hardware..but ive im forgetting something please beat me with the obvious stick =0)

any other thoughts or comments please let me know and thanks =0)

with a donor car right there you shouldn't have any problems. I did a 5 spd from an 81 n/a to a 81zxt. Only thing I ran into was driveshaft from the turbo auto had a larger output spline than the five speed so had do some driveshaft swapping but you should not have that problem. Don't know where you heard about weak rear ends but they all the same. for those years I believe everybody came with the R-180. The later zx had the R-200. You can tell which is which by measuring horizontally across the diffy. R-200 is like 8" across and the r-180 around 6". When you change pedals I found it was easier to pull the entire cage that holds the pedal assembly rather than trying to remount/dismount pedals in the car. It comes out by pulling the brake booster bolts and two bolts you have remove the gauge console to get at. You will swear it won't come out but keep wiggling and swearing at it and suddenly it just kinda jumps out in your hand. I was ready to give up and then one last tug and out she came. Disconnect linkages too obvioulsy. there is a welded clip on the body to keep the slave cylinder hose from hanging in the air. Not there on the auto tranny model. I didn't worry about that and had no problems. Even the rubber mounts have the third hole for the clutch hyddraulic line. but since you have the donor right there just move everythng over. Starter is the same there are some difference in the tin around the bellhousing but you got the donor right there so no problem just swap the stuff over. I think I could do the whole thing now in 4-6 hours. Tranny jack helpful. Get the car high enough to get the tranny out. Drain fluids or you get puddles. You need to pull flywheel clutch etc. might as well replace you are that far along. Rear engine seal you are already there. Some tips. pressure wash wheel wells saves eyeful of dirt you will get. Remove both seats. center console. put the windows down before you disconnect battery. Cut piece of 3/4 plywood to lay on when installing pedal cage. bell housing bolts can be got at from below with 2.5 to 3 foot extension and universal. Nice to have someone up top but not totally necessary. merle haggard would love you

quick question about that driveshaft... since you went from a turbo auto... was it the 3 speed or a 4 speed. ive heard some of the turbo autos were 4 speeds.. so maybe thats why the output spline was larger?? or is this just something you have to swap our going from the auto to 5speed?

As for the whole pedal assembly...guess i need to crawl in there and take a better look... i realize its a tight fit as i had to replace the clutch cylinder on my 77... hooking that back up was a pain. Never thought about dropping the whole thing.. i thought it would be easier to just do hte clutch assembly and hook up than unhooking and hooking all 3 back up but like i said i havent taken a real close look at trying to mount the clutch assembly. and im kinda xxl type of guy so ...... what ever requires less wiggling around under there LOL

Thnx for the info and if anything else pops up about that swap please feel free.

• 1 month later...

But as i live in an apartment, and can't do the work myself i'll have to have a shop do it. (this is how i found this thread). I've only had my Z (280zx) about a month, and love it. (i'll post my "here's who i am, why i'm here, and why i was destined to own a z" thread soon). Only drawback to the car was the fact that it was Auto. (I needed a car, it was a Z, and i could afford it.)

In any case... i was thinking (since it's gonna cost an arm and a leg for a shop to make the conversion) about simplifying by throwing in a more modern auto tranny instead, maybe something with a triptronic shifter. Anybody have two cents to throw in on the idea? Suggestions on tranny?

It's my daily driver, i don't mind making some investment in it, don't much plan on making it a track car, rather take it on a drive up the winding california coast. With the t-tops (which i love, having grown up on SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT) off. And i wouldn't mind being able to get up to highway speed a little quicker.

Also, if anyone knows a good Z mechanic in Los Angeles. I'm in the market.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Just fit so much what i was hoping to have done to my car. Loving the site.

Feel free to tell me to start my own damn thread. ;)