HybridZ

spare tire well strength

I would say for sure it provides stiffness to the whole rear of the car. Hatchbacks are notoriously flexable. If you are going to install a cell, just remember triangles are your friends, and concentrate on beefing up the area at the base of the strut towers... thats likely where you'd feel it if was too flexable.

I seriously doubt it adds any strength to the chassis. I took one look at mine and wipped out the sawzall! Besides, if you are installing a fuel cell you will likely need to weld in some brackets to mount it with. Just about any bracket welded in should increase the strength of body back there. But talk to some other guys here who have done it too. Mike Kelly and Terry Oxendale come to mind.

I welded in a box inplace of the spare wheel well. Made it out of 18 gauge sheet metal, so it's nice and strong. Any unibody car uses every part of the body for structural integrity, so I wasn't going to take the chance. The new box is quite a bit heavier than than the spare well, so that is a major drawback. Let m e know if you're interested in seeing pictures...I can email.

Tim

You'll find that above the rear there's a boxed steel fram piece. To mount my cell they welded angle iron from it to the frame piece at the back of the car. Cell mounted on that using "ears" to suspend it. Not sure there's much support from that tire well but the framing installed should add support. It's not much different on my car than I've seen on others in pics (shrug).