HybridZ

LS1 gas tank in a 280ZX

defrag010

I have searched and read forEVER, but the only info I can find on LS1 gas tanks are for Z's (not ZX's, cause the back half is different) or for all out cars that have had a new backhalf or brackets made.

My question is will the LS1 camaro gas tank fit under the rear of a 280ZX without cutting out spare tire wells and what not?

There is a local guy selling a tank/pump assembly for cheap, and it would help me out alot instead of having to buy a new external pump to replace my dead stock one, plus the engine swap I'm doing will be perfect with the ls1 pump setup.

ZX gas tank=19.8 gal, LS2=~16

In tank fuel pump = more hassle to replace, and if you aren't aware of it, you shouldn't run the tank below 1/4 full in order to provide enough cooling for the in tank pump (warm climate). This is one of the neat ways that manufacturers use to help dealerships make money on sevice - they don't make much selling cars...

Personally, I would use your stock tank, and modify it for bigger fuel lines if necessary, and use a bigger external pump.

Let's see now, more capacity, less/easier fab, easier maintenance.

Sounds like the ZX tank wins to me...

Thanks. From what I've seen, the ZX doesn't have a sunken down spare tire well in the middle of the hatch like the Z does. The ZX's spare sits vertically on the passenger side of the hatch.

I'm not worried about capacity, the ls1 tank is rated at 16.8 gallons, so it's not that big of a difference to me. The only thing I'm worried about is cost - my ZX is on a budget. The cost of buying a new external pump, plus fabbing new lines from the tank, etc will cost alot more than the LS1 tank option that has presented itself to me.

Also, the whole rearend of my car is a rust nightmare, so I would rather just swap the stock tank out anyway to alleviate any worry spots.

The LS1 pump assembly is already fitted for 3/8 fuel lines, and the stock LS1 pump is going to be able to give me way more than enough fuel for the power level I'm going to be at. I have been running both of my daily driver (intank pump setups) at between 1/8th and 1/16th of a tank regularly (I'm a cheapass w/ gas, and I'm famous for it.. people call me "Gas light" because the gas light in my cars is never off.. LOL) for over 5 years and about 170k accumulated miles - all still on the stock fuel pumps... so I don't belive that running a low tank level is going to guarantee a pump failure!

Do you really save any money by not have a full tank of gas? Personally it's just a pain in the rear to have to go to the gas station all the time.

Have you looked into adapting the LS1 pump assembly into the ZX tank? I know it would be tough but, atleast the tank would fit right and look right from the back.

I think a LS1 in the ZX would be cool. If I wasn't so stuck on the turbo stuff that's the combination I would use.

I'm not putting a LS1 in mine, just a 4.3 vortec v6. One of the main reasons I want to put the LS1 tank in there is so I can take my stock one out and not have to worry about cleaning or repairing it, and not have to replace my broken stock external fuel pump along with that.

As far as the low gas goes, 2 things.. 1 - you don't drive as aggressively when you are low on gas, so it saves me money because I get better gas mileage from driving like I'm about to run out. Whenever I do actually have a full tank, I'm more likely to put the petal to the metal a little more so my mileage sucks. 2 - My work/school/home travel distance is about a mile and a half every day, so 5$ in gas can last me a week if I don't go anywhere. I live in a neighborhood where getting your gas syphoned out has happened before, so I don't like my truck to sit at the curb with 25 gallons of fresh gas in it.. lol

I'm not putting a LS1 in mine, just a 4.3 vortec v6. One of the main reasons I want to put the LS1 tank in there is so I can take my stock one out and not have to worry about cleaning or repairing it, and not have to replace my broken stock external fuel pump along with that.

As far as the low gas goes, 2 things.. 1 - you don't drive as aggressively when you are low on gas, so it saves me money because I get better gas mileage from driving like I'm about to run out. Whenever I do actually have a full tank, I'm more likely to put the petal to the metal a little more so my mileage sucks. 2 - My work/school/home travel distance is about a mile and a half every day, so 5$ in gas can last me a week if I don't go anywhere. I live in a neighborhood where getting your gas syphoned out has happened before, so I don't like my truck to sit at the curb with 25 gallons of fresh gas in it.. lol

Oh I see. It all makes sence now!:burnout: