HybridZ

spring color codes

I have a chance to get some used(but fairly new) springs for my 260. The only problem is the guy doesn't know what brand or spring rate they are. The guy HE bought his car from was in the process of transforming it into a street racer and it was VERY low and very stiff. The set that was on this car(now for sale) is painted gold/bronze. He has two other pairs of springs. One pair being baby-blue and the other pair being off white/grey, all also for sale.

My thoughts are the baby-blues are Eibach, but ofcourse spring rate is undetermined. The gold/bronze are my first consideration, because it's a complete set, but he considered them stiff. Being stiff isn't that bad, right?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone shed some light on the name brands of these springs by their color codes? Is there a code on them for spring rates?

eibach springs are red (regular sportlines/prokit) and their rates are printed on the side. it'll say something like ' 10 000 250 200'

first number is the spring length in inches (10")

second is the diameter of the coil (2.5")

last number is the spring rate (200 lbs/in)

Stiff isn't necessarily bad if it's for track use most of the time. If your springs are too stiff, your butt and back will feel it if you're not driving on a smooth road. Any little bump will jolt through your back, but that's assuming the rates are 250-300lb/in. Just make sure that your don't kill the suspension travel and get right sized struts, and make sure the Z doesn't wind up hitting the bumpstops

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: auxilary ]

Best thing to do would be to take them to a suspension shop and have them check them on a spring compression tester....then at least you would know for sure, and you would know if all four in the set still have the same spring rate.

Tim