HybridZ

whats this turbo look like to you

Guest dan4011

Guest dan4011

i found this turbo on ebay, its a rebuilt garret t3 from a 300d turbo diesel lexus. when we pulled my motor we noticed alot of play in mine so its time for a replace. do you think this would be pretty adequite for my set up. motors at the shop getting new pistons and rings (forged) and im thinking about running someone around 15+ psi.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230043438510&rd=1,1

Hi Dan,

I see that you have a t3/t4 installed with hi flow modifications. The turbo you listed flows less than the stock turbo, not ideal for running 15+ psi. I see that your motor is being rebuilt. Do you know what your compression ratio is? Higher boost requires a lower compression ratio along with many other mods

Guest dan4011

hey, well the ratio was stock 76 compression (na block, n47 head) it ran good with 12 psi on that setup. im not sure on the pistons were going to be installing but i think were ganna lower the compression a bit.

any idea on a good turbo to use, cant really find any nice t3/t4 turbos for somewhere below 400 bucks. and most require the use of an external wastegate, which i guess isnt out of the question, just adds money to get one welded on there, may be worth it tho.

Guest dan4011

yea, that turbonetics is oil and coolent cooled, and i dont want to have to make that work, i also might be able to get a nice turbo in need of a rebuild and theres a shop around here ive done a good bit of buisness with that i wouldnt doubt would guide me in the rebuild.

well something like this looks like the ticket to me. but if it goes up to near his buy it now i wont have the money to get something like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Real-T3-T04E-60-trim-NOT-Fake-Turbonetics_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ019QQitemZ290046791930QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

1. He doesn't state whatthe hotsdie a/r is, could be another .42 or .48.

2. The turbine wheel is pretty oily, deffinetly needs a turbine seal, may as well rebuild it.

If you don't know how to rebuild one (easy), I wouldn't get one off Ebay. Worst case is a compressor blade is bent, motor spit out a piston chunk and f 'd up the turbine wheel or ran dirty oil and scored the bearing surface on the turbine shaft (can be machined but more $$). I've bought 4 on ebay and they all needed a rebuild. I bid knowing what it cost me to r&r one.

Dan,

You don't need to water cool the center section if you don't want to. Just cap the ports and go. However, oil is a must.

Call up a turbo shop and send them your old turbo and get it rebuilt. Might be cheaper than you think. I used Majestic Turbo a few times with good results.

I'm just repeating what Majestic Turbo told me about not having to run water in a water cooled center section. They built me a hybrid turbo a few years ago and they told me I didn't need to run water through the center section if I didn't want too and to just allow more idle timing before shut down, like if it was a non-water cooled unit.

A friend of mine has also been running his water cooled center section this way for years without any problems. Furthermore, a water cooled center section tends to have a better bearing design.