HybridZ

zxt cv shaft conversion on R200 rear shaft length problems

briann510

If I were to go ahead with this conversion at another time if and when the halfshafts break, what I would do is use 2 short cv axles for EACH side. Even though one of the short ones wouldnt be able to lock into the diff circlip it would still be ok as its not going anywhere. Even though I have them all apart no one carries the required boot/band integrated assy so I still cant complete the cv rebuild.

Nice pictures. Sure makes it clear on what needs to be cut to remove the boot. It isn't fun crimping the new boot on. I ended up using a drivers side splined axle on the passenger side 280ZXT CV assembly due to the shorter length. Works good with no bindng on either side.

So with you using a left (drivers) side axle on the right (passenger) side it didnt lock into the circlip right?

I used the drivers side shaft with splined ends that fits between the CV joints, not the complete CV axle assembly.Actually I put a passenger side splined part that clips into the diff onto a drivers side axle assembly and used it on the passenger side,the drivers side wasn't modified. So both sides are now the same shorter length and clip into the diff.

I did some measurements today. I removed the metal covers at the ends of the shafts. Stand them up on a table. The longer shaft measured 15 3/4inch from the table up the end where it meets the differential. The shorter shaft is 15 1/4". So if you swap the shorter shaft to the passenger side you will have 1/2" slack. I doubt that will yank the input shaft out of the differential.