HybridZ

VG30 - VG33, question

Axel Kain

i have an 85 NA 300ZX, suposedly has 400K miles...lol.

i also have aquired a 60K mi. VG33 with spun rod bearing. when i got the motor has no rod caps though.

the question is, would i be able to just swap the whole rod+rod caps from my Z, to the VG33? using new bearings of corse.

i also plan to get a new (85 VG30) crank, oil pump, and main bearings.

the plan=:burnout:

the question is, would i be able to just swap the whole rod+rod caps from my Z, to the VG33? using new bearings of corse.

I doubt it, they have a big diffrence in displacement. edit- they are pretty much the same parts/size....

i also plan to get a new (85 VG30) crank, oil pump, and main bearings.

the plan=:burnout:

Why the 3L crank? use the 3.3L short block.

Check this thread out for some good VG info, my last few posts sum it all up and give a link to a VG34E. Good stuff.

~Alex

thanks for the link, and for anyone in the future here is a link for the rod info...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=363610

lastly, im using a new 3L crank so my front pully matches correctly, and so my flywheel matches correctly.

and i know about the difference in displacement, thats why im asking about any differences in the RODS, i know the pistons are larger.

i want to be sure the VG30 crank works correctly with the VG33 block, rods, etc.

finally, (sorry for the bit of rant) - thanks for the link.

Im fairly sure the 3.3L rods will work no problem on the 3L crank, I believe those are the same size.

Pretty much you just need the bigger bore, pistons and rings to get the bigger displacement..

LOL after all that posting I forgot the cranks had the same stroke and were completely compatable. Ive got it all straightend out again.

Im actually comtemplaiting a VE33DE which basicly a VG30DE packaged to fit the 92-94SE maximas, with the higher flowing heads and a varible intake manifold and VTC's. That would really give a great power band and lots of all around fun.....

~Alex

so, my fsm is lying and the rod bearing diameter isnt completely different? Also theres a slight kink in your plan to run dual cam heads on a single cam block and thats the head bolts dont even come close. Theres like 13 headbolts on the single cam and eight or 10 on the dual cam heads. peace.

That was all internet chat so maybe they are diffrent. But what does it say about the piston end?

the VE30DE is a dohc engine with 24V that has the exact same engine mounts as a VG30E and a very similar block. its only application is the 92-94 SE maxima.

I want to see if I can over bore it to 3.3L or 3.4L. With that engine you'll have 4 valves a cyl and a varible intake manifold for much more topend and just as much bottom end.

~Alex

Im actually comtemplaiting a VE33DE which basicly a VG30DE packaged to fit the 92-94SE maximas, with the higher flowing heads and a varible intake manifold and VTC's. That would really give a great power band and lots of all around fun.....

~Alex

Let us know how it works out for you. Be sure to take a lot of pictures to document your progress.

^who was that to?

BTW, i found on wikipieda, it says that the VG30, and 33 have the same stroke...hope so...

also ive found in a Nissan dealership parts dpt. that the rods from post 4/87, and the VG33 are the same. and i believe the cranks' strokes are also, but thats the determineing factor (VG30 vs. VG33 crank stroke).

That was all internet chat so maybe they are diffrent. But what does it say about the piston end?

the VE30DE is a dohc engine with 24V that has the exact same engine mounts as a VG30E and a very similar block. its only application is the 92-94 SE maxima.

I want to see if I can over bore it to 3.3L or 3.4L. With that engine you'll have 4 valves a cyl and a varible intake manifold for much more topend and just as much bottom end.

~Alex

VE is a chain driven timing system. And the heads do not share a similar bolt pattern. It is physically impossible to swap the VE heads onto the SOHC VG motors.

Read around different sites on the VE motor. There is a reason they weren't around very long.

Guest alex86na2t

The proper way to do a vg33 swap is to use all vg30 parts matched with only the vg33 block, pistons, and rods. Othersize the oil pan and pump isn't compatable. This is how grahfz did it from www.z31performance.com and from my understanding, it is suppose to be far superior to the vg30 in drivability.

Also if you can't find a vg33 block, just bore your vg30 4.5mm over. Then it will be physically the same. And yes it can be done, my machineist said it can be bored to almost 3.4L with no issues. I had mine bored 2mm and next time i will go to the max.

VE is a chain driven timing system. And the heads do not share a similar bolt pattern. It is physically impossible to swap the VE heads onto the SOHC VG motors.

Read around different sites on the VE motor. There is a reason they weren't around very long.

I believe he's just talking about boring the VE out to 3.3 liters or so.

Yes MT, thats exactly what I want to do. That and a slush box for chicago driving. Then after I move away from there it would be 5 speed time....But so far its just an idea. Oh and if I do it there will be lots of pics!!

And yes if you want a VG33 or VG34, just get your self some new pistons, thats the only diffrence beween the 3.3L and 3L

~Alex