HybridZ

Shaved rear bumper, with muffers

datsun40146

I recently shaved my rear bumper, but while I was doing that I got to thinking. The more I looked at the bumper shock holes the more I thought of how cool it would look to have muffler tips exiting from there, or cutting a new hole and have it through that. I think dual exhaust would be the only option in this case with dual tips. However my problem lies in the gas tank, I can't get two mufflers to fit up there (hell even one muffer would be tight) with the tank in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than a fuel cell? I would love to have the look exotic exhaust, but getting it to fit might make that too hard of a job to be worth it. Thanks for any all help.

Guest 280ZForce

don't do a dummy exhaust, that's just ricer style in my opinion.

if you can't afford to go fuel cell setup to get your dual sytem going, then just put 1 cutout on the 1 side that you can.

Yeah the dummy exhuast was just brainstorming, so the general thoughts are that dual exhaust in the way I am thinking are not possible with the stock tank. I really dont want to do just one side, that would be too un-blanced. After shaving the bumper totally smooth the only thing back there would be one exhaust tip, and that just wouldn't look "right" IMO sticking out of one side.

Your other option is to use a gas tank from a different vehicle. Myself and a few others used nylon tanks form LS1 f-bodies, and Dan Juday used one from a Suzuki Samurai.

Edit: I added a pic of my duals. I know some people don't like the tips, but my kids like it and it works for me as well.

JCCS1_thumb.jpg

Hey Bartman, my plan was to put pipes exiting about where you bumper is. Do gas tank swaps provide enough clearance for that. Is the measurments for said tanks in the archives?
I don't have measurements off hand, but I think it would work. My mufflers are sort of an oblong shape with the exhaust exiting on the bottom. You could either get a mufler with a center exit to raise it up some, or turn it 180 degrees to have the exit at the top.

Is there enough room for a muffer that is parrel to the roll pan. The only example I can think of is the old VW mufflers that are round and have 2 90 degree exits coming out of them. A neon muffer I think is of the same style. If I swap the tank to one of better clearance and use the VW/Neon syle muffer, could the swap then work?

This is not what i meant in the above post but, could something along these lines work?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hofele.com/formula/en/VW_Golf_IV/img/VW_Golf_IV_sport_muffler.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hofele.com/formula/en/VW_Golf_IV/vw_golf_IV.html&h=339&w=600&sz=25&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=sLHuty85D3N9TM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DVW%2Bmuffler%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Here is the parrell muffler style I spoke about

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/abarth_muffler.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/Karmann_Konnection_New_Products__Beetle_26.html&h=180&w=240&sz=7&hl=en&start=30&tbnid=nEi5G7bJiMsYUM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3DVW%2Bmuffler%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

I am currently using a NOS ANSA muffler with a glass pack reonator and 2 1/2 pipes that combo sounds really nice. it almost purrs at idle, I don't want to use the muffers above I think they would sound to ricy, I would LOVE to either modify my current muffer or stay in the ANSA family. I have no trouble bending piping or welding, so I think I can one off the pipes like the second example above and attach them to a ANSA muffler and then weld the ANSA to my current pipes. All of this comes down to if I can fit a parell muffer in there or not, or failing that modify some pipers to fit a muffer in the stock location.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Is there enough room for a muffer that is parrel to the roll pan. The only example I can think of is the old VW mufflers that are round and have 2 90 degree exits coming out of them. A neon muffer I think is of the same style. If I swap the tank to one of better clearance and use the VW/Neon syle muffer, could the swap then work?
It wouldn't work with the LS1 tank...it takes pretty much all the available room front to back. What it buys you is room on either side for the duals.

Could the spare tire area be cut out and welded up falt, thus creating more room up and down. Would moving the tank up 6 inches create enough clearance. Sorry I have to ask these questions I can't go out and look at my cars as I am seval hours away. Thanks for everyone's help.

Could the spare tire area be cut out and welded up falt, thus creating more room up and down. Would moving the tank up 6 inches create enough clearance. Sorry I have to ask these questions I can't go out and look at my cars as I am seval hours away. Thanks for everyone's help.

Actually, I did exactly that in order to get my tank installed. Here's a link to a web page that has some info and pictures.

http://mysite.verizon.net/bzandbergen/LS1FuelTank.htm

My vison is to set the pipes out more and use dual slash cut tips. Yeah having a dummy side is a really bad idea, for two main reasons. one the lack of condenstaion on cold mornings and the lack of carbon soot on one side. Both would be a dead give away and would ruin the look. Does anyone think the two muffer styles I linked above could work?

• Administrators

Back in the mid ‘90’s I did run a true dual exhaust on My L-28 and ran the exhaust out through the bumper holes. I had modify the OE fuel tank by shaving off that end of it to facilitate this, lost approx 1.5 gallons, I don’t recall the actual volume lost. Then when I installed the V-8, I had to open up the holes in the valance to accommodate the larger dual 2 ½” exhaust.

Personally, I like the looks of the exhaust exiting that location, though the fuel cell is the better way to approach this. For my current V-8 project, I plan to do the same thing, though this time around I’ll run a custom fuel tank or fuel cell.

The original BRAAP Z…

280Z1.jpg