HybridZ

SBC & sidepipe choices, Install Issues?

gvincent

Sorry if this should be posted in the Exhaust forum, but most of the posts there are for L6 and turbos. I searched "Side Pipes", "Side Exhaust", "Side pipe install". Most posts were really old and the links no longer worked or the pictures did not load. I did see a post by Crazy Cole using Patriot side pipes but saw anothe post by Andrew that says both the Patriot and Dynomax were too restrictive.

What I wnat to find out or search for are pictures of installations, Brands used and why.

I really like the old 63-67 Stingray side pipe look and would like to see some pictures of sidepipes on Z's

I would like to know how much of a hassle they are to install and about clearance issues on the sub frame and those who did not notch the frame.

Otherwise I will continue reading the debates over Dual VS Single with "X" or "Y" pipe, 2-1/2' to 3" to try and decide which way to go.

Thanks,

Greg

OOPS, DOHHHHHH!!! and an administrator at that!!!!!!

Please accept my apology for the typo or slip I am not sure which.

Maybe it would be helpful to see the post you are respondig to while you are typing so you don't make mistakes on peoples names.

How does that Southwest airline commercial go????

OH, Wanna get away? ......YES!

Sorry

Greg

I don't know if you get off that easy. What do you think crazy z cole? :lmao:

I've heard of butchering a name, but, uh, that's definately a new one.

I think he should have to donate to hybridz, what $20?, $50? You being one of those pesky admins that can vote him off the island and all.

I don't know if you get off that easy. What do you think crazy z cole? :lmao:

I've heard of butchering a name, but, uh, that's definately a new one.

I think he should have to donate to hybridz, what $20?, $50? You being one of those pesky admins that can vote him off the island and all.

....lol.....rofl.....that is why i make very little reference to any admin on ANY forums that i go to....good luck vincent.

I just installed the Dynomax side pipes on my friend's Z with an LS1. The side pipes look real good on the car. You biggest problem will be the clearance under the car. I didn't notch the frame rails and I run 2 1/4 inch pipes and they are an inch or less above ground. I will have to go back an notch the frame rails and then build a bridge over the pipes to keep the frame rails strong. Larry notch his frame rails for his side pipes. Check the bottom of this page. You can find some pictures of the side pipes. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079260/8

Goodluck

Vinh

Well I took my punishment like a man and paid my Administrator debt.

Cozy Cole Sorry again,

Dr. Hunt, I paid my fine, got out of jail, and now I can head towards GO!!

(Hey Doc, your first name isn't Ernest is it? Along time friend I lost touch with about 20 years ago, built some of the best small and big block chevies I ever saw!) (He put a 327 in a tubed and tubbed 510 wagon back in the late 70's)

Anyway thank you for all the help, this site is awesome!

I will need tons of advice/help as I am just getting started, the garage is clean. the 76 280Z (the 78 is getting covered and moving ouside) in in the garage, I have the engine hoist and am getting ready to pull!

Anymore comments or thoughts on side pipes?

I haven't lowered my Z yet so maybe I would have more clearance without notching the frame?

Thanks all,

Greg

My 75 280Z is not lowered either and so trust what's posted here. That's if you want to drive it more than back and forth in the garage. :wink: I'm running 2 1/2 in. from the collector to the sidepipe. Notching the frame gave me 4 1/2 in. clearance and I still have to watch for speed bumps and the depth of entrances and exits to places. About using Patriot or Dynomax pipes, don't worry about your power loss. Compared to the NA 6 you will have more than enough power unless you are going for a race built car which you wouldn't want sidepipes anyway. I'm not going to post any pics on this thread, there's enough pics in this forum of my sidepipe set-up at this point now. :-)

LARRY

Thank you Cozy/Larry,Yes I have seen all of your pictures. I guess I won't be going the sidepipe route as I feel uncomfortable notching the frame. I have zero, well not completely zero welding experience if you count slop welding with a 30 year old Lincoln stick welder as any experience. Besides I bought the 76 because the sub frame rails, front rails, TC cups have already been replaced and done well.

My 78 needs a passenger side rail when I'm finished with the Hybrid 76 I though I might take a course at the local Tech high school and get LOTS of practice and a new MIG then I might trust myself enough to replace a frame rail.

I will probably go with side skirts then because the mid section looks bare when you have the front air dam and rear skirt and spoiler.

I will now continue to search for single exhaust with a "Y" pipe VS dual pipes with an "X" pipe and then the whole 2-1/2" VS 3" debate.

Thanks fo your assistance.

Greg

Gvincent...I have experience with installing side pipes...the patriot style...I agree with whoever said they are restrictive, but that only applies to my application..."Crazy" Cole aka Cozy Cole is right in the respect of comparisons of old power and new power. I needed to go side pipes because I didn't have enough room to go over or under the 9 inch Ford and 4 link. I also have a 600 hp motor so need something that will breathe. When I looked at the inside of the Patriots, they looked to be maybe 2 inches or less inside diameter. I assembled them, trial fitted for length of where they would dump (I have a wide-body conversion so they had to be just right to dump before the fender extensions), pulled them off and marked the garage floor for the correct length. I then purchased some 3" id race mufflers, some 3" pipe and fabbed the correct length so they would fit the chrome pieces that came with the system. The OD on the mufflers is 4.5 inches, so the Chrome covers also fit. I am running 1 7/8" primary block huggers, but had to re-route the steering on the driver side and box the frame on the passenger side to fit the bigger headers in because they don't tuck as close to the block as the 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 headers do. I run 3" tubing from the collectors to the pipes so I have 3" all the way back. The are louder than I care for but it is really hard to quiet down three inch pipes with those mufflers. Anyway, I don't have any clearance issues, I have not notched the frame and I drive it quite frequently, as well as to the track and back (about 40 miles round trip). pics are attached. Hope this gives you an idea of some different ways of doing things.

Wayne

Rytherwr,

Have you lower your car down after the exhaust yet? I installed the Patriot side pipes on my friend's Z and it looked great on the lift but after I dropped the car man I immediately knew that the pipes was too low. I have about 1inch between the flanges and the ground. I installed 2 sets of flanges before the side pipes for easy removal and installation. I used 2 1/2" pipes BTW. Here is a picture: 2079260_274_full.jpg

Vinh

Vin,

You didn't read my last two sentences....Please do. I can see the difference between our installations by your pic. My pipes come over and almost touch the T/C bar forward of the mounting point. yours go way underneath. Note in my pics that neither of my pipes is lower than my oil pan....so no clearance problems and I drive some pretty rough roads.

Wayne

Hi Wayne and thanks for the response and the pictures, you have renewed my love for side pipes again! I know Cozy and Vin ran their pipes right at where the frame rail angles down, and Cozy had to nothch his frame and Vin will have to something as he is way too low, but you did it further forward right after the TC Cups where the frame is much higher off the ground? Correct? It is hard to see in your pictures exactly what you are talking about, would you have a picture shot underneath from the side view? or a couple from different angles?

On the Patriot pipes you gutted the inside and put in 3" internal mufflers? How did you do that? I could use more details so I can copy what you did, it looks like it will work.

That is one beautiful car you have there!

Thanks,

Greg

Hey, GV, thanks for the props....Actually, my pipes come out before the TC cups where the frame is angled up, so you can get them up there off the ground. I actually dumped the patriout mufflers, kept the chrome turn-downs and the chrome bend at the front and replaced with 3" id race mufflers. I made the whole thing the same length as the patriots by welding 3" pipes to each end. I will take more pics from different angles and take pics of the muffler setup and post so folks can see what I am talking about.

Wayne

And I was struggling to figure out how to route my 3" side pipes. Thanks Wayne for showing how to do it!

Mine will be run through/be covered by the side skirts and have turned out exits just ahead of the rear wheels.

I plan to use a pair of 3" perforated core stainless Turbo Tube muffs - 3.5" outside diameter gives room for insulated wrap - Probably way too loud if you don't have turbos. For track use (or just when I want to make some noise :D ) I will have some straight pipes to bolt on. V-band flange joints from turbo outlets to muffllers will facilitate easy assembly and alignment.

You got it, Rick....actually a lot of room if you come out as forward as possible....That will be a cool look to hid them behind the side skirts, ala Viper, eh? As I say, they get pretty loud because of where they come out and, after driving 20 miles or so, it is kind of a relief to shut it off...:o) I am sitting in a motel in Panama City FL spending the night because I have the hotrod going on the dyno for some tuning tomorrow...I put fuel injection on it and believe there is more to be had with some tuning. We'll see tomorrow.

Wish me luck...

Wayne

Thank you Wayne!

Rick that is a cool Idea hiding them like that you will have to post pics when your done.

So I guess I can have side pipes made at a decent muffler shop from 3.5" glass pack type mufflers and just buy a chrome perforated shield from Summit or someone instead of hacking up a Patriot or Dynomax side pipe kit.

I think I want to keep the pipe black where it is visible at the bend and tips, maybe I will get it powder coated??

Wayne, I will be sure to show your pictures to the guy at the muffler shop say THIS is what I want.

WOOHOOO I am happy I can have sidepipes!!!

Greg