HybridZ

Intake removal / header install

Hartspank

Hey guys, I've got a broken exhaust stud on my 82 zx na. So I figured if I have to take the intake and exaust manifolds off I might as well add a header. This is my first time tearing into the Datsun and it looks like a real pain! Does anybody have any helpful tips, or time saving tricks?

yup, the exhaust manifolds warp and it breaks the end stud, usually flush with the head, like you said. Don't make matter worse by busting an ez-out off in the head. Then yer sunk. Use a center punch to start a place to drill it out. An old trick is to get a counter-clockwise drill bit. take it slow, don't get frustrated. Last one I did, I could not get to come out and ended up having to do a heli-coil on it. Oddly, the rinky-dink auto parts joint had 8mm heli-coils.

Edit: dude.... how do you pronounce the name of that town you live in? holy cow...

I did the front and rear studs on my 280ZX once. Yes, it was a lot of work. I found that having several different lengths of 3/8" extensions along with at least one universal joint allows you to get several of the bolts under the intake. Then, you will need a 12 point wrench to get at the rear one (IIRC). I can also highly recommend that you get a wobble drive extension, and both short and long sockets. It is not trivial, but very doable.

I was 'unlucky' enough to break a TAP off in the hole. I thought I had drilled the bold bolt out completely, but I hadn't, and a piece of the steel inside caught and broke my tap off. That was misery, but I was able to pound on the tap and break it into pieces, and remove the piece. It took several days of work. As a replacement, I used the next larger stud size, since the hole was buggered. A keensert would have been better.

Good luck on your project, I feel for you!

Joshua

I agree with the easy outs being anything but on the Z, I broke 2 trying to get the broken bolts on my exhaust manifold/heat shield out.

It is almost a art getting the intake off and on with all the heat shields in place. Most people ditch them, I kept mine. I guess I'm just masochistic. I'm getting have way decent at getting the bottom bolts now.