HybridZ

got a $100 motor with aftermarket flat tops???? PICS

big-phil

How can I tell if they are forged? I will get some pics from the bottom. They are a very shinny aluminum. It has new "freeze" plugs, rear main seal. The guy I got it from said it was rebuilt, but did not know much about it. It has small dings in the piston like the timming was not set right at first try? The guy said he drove the car. It was running good the guy said, but the valves look dirty?? you can see the cross hatch still, and the top of the piston is marked "STD" On the bottom side, the skirt of the piston looks etched for the crank to clear, and it seems like the crank comes just mm from the pin of the piston. Does anyone know what I have????

31519443080.jpg

31519443128.jpg

31519443158.jpg

31519443191.jpg

31519443262.jpg

31519443261.jpg

31519443295.jpg

31519443356.jpg

31519443366.jpg

31519443440.jpg

The pistons are definetely aftermarket, but they could be standard replacements. The cross hatching in the cylinders looks good, but doesn't look like it was machine bored. It reminds me of a quick hone job with a drill attachment. The white stuff is usually caused by coolant getting into the cylinders. My bet would be the engine blew a head gasket and the PO (one of them) rebuilt it himself using autozone parts and just did a crappy hone job to smooth the cylinders out. he probably slapped cheap rings in it and then ran the piss out of it before the rings had time to seat giving you all the nasty oil build up. The dings in the cylinders are definetely from the valves. It appears he caught it in time to keep from damaging anything though. Doesn't look like anything special. If it was over bored the pistons would have a metric number indicating the amount over sized they were on the top and I don't see anything like that. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they're not anything special and I would recommend rebuilding it as who ever did it last time probably had no clue what they were doing and used cheap parts.

Is it an L28, or L24? One piston looks like it has "STD" stamped in it, so the bore is standard. OEM flat top L28 pistons have "P79" stamped in them, so they are not Nissan. If it is an L24, then those are stock L24 pistons. The hone looks recent, and it also looks like the bores might have been ridge reemed.

big-phil...You have enough motors now... get your best crank, best block(F54), best rods, and some custom forged 88mm pistons...yes, overbore it!!! don't worry about the little problems... I say you make it like a year long motor build and make it big...would you rather have a big chomper 3.0 turbo motor making 375+hp after sitting for a year? :-) I would...