HybridZ

~~~Cooling Fan Control Unit~~~

JSM

Keep in mind that if you use a controller with the sensor that installs in the radiator (whether in the coolant or in between the fins), wiring it to run the fan after turning the engine off will only keep the fan running until the radiator goes below the turn-off temp. It will have very little impact on cooling the rest of the engine. I don't think you will harm anything with this approach, but I don't think it will make much of a difference either.

If the sensor is mounted somewhere on the heads, then I think there is much more benefit, but without an electric coolant pump to keep the coolant circulating, the flow due to convection could take a long time to get things cooled down so the fan shuts off. I'm not saying this will always happen, but on a hot day after driving in stop/go traffic, I could see this taking 15+ minutes. If your battery is in good shape, probably no harm. If it's marginal, might not be a good idea.

• Like 1

naviathan... Please clarify what/who seemed sarcastic:wink:

Not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic or not, but I just noticed an error in my wording. Connect the controller to a constant hot so it stays running until the engine cools down.

Zmanco... My thoughts exactly. An elect H2O pump AND elect. fan(s) connected to full-time hot will cool the car after shut-down... probably the BEST benefit of going all elect.

Keep in mind that if you use a controller with the sensor that installs in the radiator (whether in the coolant or in between the fins), wiring it to run the fan after turning the engine off will only keep the fan running until the radiator goes below the turn-off temp. It will have very little impact on cooling the rest of the engine. I don't think you will harm anything with this approach, but I don't think it will make much of a difference either.

If the sensor is mounted somewhere on the heads, then I think there is much more benefit, but without an electric coolant pump to keep the coolant circulating, the flow due to convection could take a long time to get things cooled down so the fan shuts off. I'm not saying this will always happen, but on a hot day after driving in stop/go traffic, I could see this taking 15+ minutes. If your battery is in good shape, probably no harm. If it's marginal, might not be a good idea.

Oh sorry about that, I thought hit the quote in reply. I meant mikes comment on keeping the water pump running as well. Probably not, but I wasn't sure. No offense taken either way. Just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean the fan should run constantly, only until it cools off the engine.

naviathan... Nope, no sarcasm intended. I agree with you and only meant that an electric H2O pump, combined with an electric fan is the ulitimate cooling package when consideration is given to continued cooling after engine shut-off.

I'm sorry if my post seemed sarcastic... completely unintentional... though I am sarcastic from time-to-time:-D :icon53::wink:

i think it would be cheaper than an electric h2o pump and would work the same way?
No, with an electric water pump the coolant continues to circulate through the engine and carry heat to the radiator to be cooled by the fan. Without the electric pump, there is very little coolant flow (just a little due to convection) and so you don't get as much benefit.

What he said...:wink:

EDIT: BTW, I just ordered electric fans and pump. These will be set up to run as long as it takes to cool the engine to 160 degrees after shut-down.