HybridZ

Welding Magnifier

Nismo280zEd

Ok so i'm not new to welding but i am by far no means an expert. I can weld enough to do my own fab work, exhausts, intake, sheet metal repair... etc. Well After doing several exhausts and random odds and ends for two years i feel i'm getting pretty good. Good enough to tackle structural pieces. So i was browsing through Triple S Steel online store as they come recomended and they are local to me in Houston. I can across these magnifiers that drop in your welding hood. Anybody had experience with these? Seems like a good idea but at the same time might be annoying.

here's the link

http://sssonlinestore.com/detail.aspx?id=42225

-Ed

"CHEATERS" That’s what the old pipe welders call them. I welded for years without one until my eyes gave out. Unless you are already wearing glasses I would not use one. I promised myself that when I went to a 1.25 cheater I would quit welding for a living. Well the back gave out before the eyes did. I use a 1.00 in my hood now and it does help. If you use one with too much power you will never be able to focus on the weld.

I have a set of cheaters in my helmet. I also wear trifocals. Even with 3 sets of lenses to choose from I would have a difficult time welding without the cheaters. Some of the cheaters have a table on the back side that tells you what power to buy based upon your age. Nailed it perfectly for me.

I am not sure why they would make your eyes fail any faster than puberty did.

I did not say cheaters cause your eyes to go bad! Welding for extended lengths of time, i.e. working as a welder strains the eyes and is hard on the eyes. After a while puddle starts to get blurry even with glasses for most welders. Cheaters do have there place and will reduce eye strain when they are the proper strength for the welder. If you do not need a cheater they can cause strain the eye.

Please be safe, you only have one set of eyes.