HybridZ

Oh my gosh! I did it!

haukenes

Wow, okay so with very little engine experience, a fair bit of mechanical intuition, and a chiltons manual; i managed to replace the head on my engine by myself in a week... I'm fairly satisfied with my work :eek: amazing.

you can see the pictures of what was wrong with my engine here:

http://colorado.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2102576&l=c702b&id=10207714

I blew the head gasket on my 1980 280zx... and then let the car sit for a week... so the #6 cylinder hydrolocked full of coolant... bad news for my car.

So now i guess its time to address everything a *broke* fixing the engine!

#1 My temp gauge doesn't work anymore.. but all the electrical connections are properly hooked up to the block and thermostat housing (any thoughts?)

#2 The fuse box in the passenger compartment now hummmmmms when i turn off the ignition, didn't used to do that and i have very little clue as to the electrical systems in the car (do we have an electrical forum? i'm sure we do and i'm an idiot and brought this here :-P)

so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be *more* than welcome!

• Administrators
Wow, okay so with very little engine experience, a fair bit of mechanical intuition, and a chiltons manual; i managed to replace the head on my engine by myself in a week... I'm fairly satisfied with my work :eek: amazing.

...And thus it begins... the never ending fulfillment of ones own work.

I remember, not that long ago, a story not unlike yours... and now... many Z friends, scarred knuckles, shallow pockets, and... hailing a big grin :D

Welcome to the 'club' :D

you can see the pictures of what was wrong with my engine here:

http://colorado.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2102576&l=c702b&id=10207714

I blew the head gasket on my 1980 280zx... and then let the car sit for a week... so the #6 cylinder hydrolocked full of coolant... bad news for my car.

So now i guess its time to address everything a *broke* fixing the engine!

#1 My temp gauge doesn't work anymore.. but all the electrical connections are properly hooked up to the block and thermostat housing (any thoughts?)

#2 The fuse box in the passenger compartment now hummmmmms when i turn off the ignition, didn't used to do that and i have very little clue as to the electrical systems in the car (do we have an electrical forum? i'm sure we do and i'm an idiot and brought this here :-P)

so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be *more* than welcome!

Make sure your drain the oil, as it may have water in the sump, waiting to sucked through the bearings when you start it..

Nigel

Hey thanks so much for the advice guys! and yeah it does feel good to finally do my own work. The Z shop in town charges such a ridiculous amount for anything they do, i can't afford much more than advice from them. Before my Z i had a 90' accord that wasn't much worth putting any work into, so i'm glad i finally have a car that i enjoy driving/working on.

Thanks again!

Hey thanks so much for the advice guys! and yeah it does feel good to finally do my own work. The Z shop in town charges such a ridiculous amount for anything they do, i can't afford much more than advice from them. Before my Z i had a 90' accord that wasn't much worth putting any work into, so i'm glad i finally have a car that i enjoy driving/working on.

Thanks again!

That's the joy of owning Z. It's fun to drive and easy to work on. My DD is an 81ZX. It's had lots of problems but when you sit down and figure it up, it's still way cheaper than buying something new or anything you have a payment on. Plus it looks way better. :)

Boulder Import Motors in Boulder, CO. Their head mechanic worked at the Datsun dealership from 79-86 and specialized in the Z parts and install. Does good work, but takes a while... and $$$. Most of their busniess (for obvious reasons) comes from other imports, but he's darn good at what he does :-D