HybridZ

Bad, twisted idea AWD........ hardbody?!?!?!?

Mack

I came across a 2wd 1990 hardbody pickup for $350. runs and drives, just has a bad leaf spring. got to thinking.... Ive got a spare VG30DE with harness out of a J30. Seems as though people basically throw away skyline AWD transmissions because to us, they are useless.... arent the early R32 AWD 5spds the same as a VG30DE(TT) 300zx 5spd? put an R200 VLSD carrier up front and get a pathfinder LSD R233 rear..... could be a wicked street machine.

if I went to a U-pull-it, I could get all of the front suspension and crap for the 4wd for $100 MAYBE $200. stick a single turbo on the VG and have a little fun.

think its feasible?

It's a great idea, but unfortunately it will not work without serious mods. The 2x frame is quite different than the 4x. I have owned both and the idea crossed my mind back when I had my lifted 2x. Also, the Skyline tranny is not really needed, you could get the correct VG tranny for barely $300 if need be. You can still drop the VG in there, but I would pass on trying to convert it to 4x. Now, something I have been thinking of is this; find a 4 cylinder 4x in standard cab. Pull the KA out and drop in an SR20det. It will bolt right in. Then, lower it as best you can. If you gut the interior of the bed and pull off the tailgate, you could have a truck barely 2000 pounds. Picture that, an SR pushing 300-350 hp, AWD, and 2000 pounds. This would be the easiest way to build a Hardbody sleeper.

Brian

It's a great idea, but unfortunately it will not work without serious mods. The 2x frame is quite different than the 4x. I have owned both and the idea crossed my mind back when I had my lifted 2x. Also, the Skyline tranny is not really needed, you could get the correct VG tranny for barely $300 if need be. You can still drop the VG in there, but I would pass on trying to convert it to 4x. Now, something I have been thinking of is this; find a 4 cylinder 4x in standard cab. Pull the KA out and drop in an SR20det. It will bolt right in. Then, lower it as best you can. If you gut the interior of the bed and pull off the tailgate, you could have a truck barely 2000 pounds. Picture that, an SR pushing 300-350 hp, AWD, and 2000 pounds. This would be the easiest way to build a Hardbody sleeper.

Brian

Sounds like an awesome idea, but could you just not turbo the KA brian? thanks

yes, but there is a difference between AWD and 4WD, thats why I want the skyline trans.

Ill have to look at teh 4wd frame and 2wd frames some more, I didnt think there was that much of a difference as Ive had both, but never really took a long hard look at it.

and I wouldnt put an SR in it, a DOHC KA can make 300 to 350rwhp on stock internals and have a LOT more torque than an SR at similar power levels.

I ws just considering the VG because I already have it and its not going to get used for prettymuch anything else. would make lots of torque and lots of HP with a small T3 or even a hybrid.

The KA has potential, but you must remember that the KA in the Hardbody does not use the same intake as the 240SX. You would need to swap intakes, computers, and possibly the harness before you could start the turbo mods. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it might end up costing as much as an SR and still be just as much work. Putting a turbo on a VG in a D21 is problematic. The crossover connection from the right side manifold usually goes over the tranny, the D21 is pretty tight in that area. Taking the stock design going under the engine might work, but then you would need to bring it back up on the drivers side to meet with the collector from that side before you could mount the turbo. Anyway you go, it is an awsome idea.

Brian

oh, but I hve a VG30DE!! would have to be custom anyway. as far as the KA goes, I know ghow much of a pain in the ass it is!! I put a 240SX KA into a 4wd hardbody that already had a KA in it!! never again! teh blocks are different as well as the oil pans and the SX KA has a girdle on it as well, which the truck KA doesnt.

Anyway, I know a guy here locally that has turbod some interesting vehicles. VR6 VWs, tegs, corados, audis. he can make it fit.

I already have a VG30E that came out of a 4wd pathy (blew a timing belt) so, I have the 4wd pan and both E and DE VGs are girlded. I think I will go to the junkyard friday and take a tape measure with me and a note pad.

Hi,

I have always had the idea of a Datsun 620 or a Hardbody with a sr20det,I saw one for sale a long time ago and loved it.AWD sound like a great idea too!!.....I would just work on some dragradial's or even a minitub to get traction and save weight.

This could be some help!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358115

some overall nissan swaps into harbody's...

http://www.sromagazine.com/cars/profiles/truck/

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167341

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/706389