HybridZ

Carbs and E85?

myplasticegg

Hey guys, I am tossing up the idea of E85 and carbs. Here is the setup that I would like to have when all is said and done. (full time student, might take a while)

Block F54 bottom end, flat top pistons

Head Whatever my builder likes better

Cam Something with some lope, not a daily driver

Intake N36

Carbs 72 SU's

Header Stahl

Exhaust 2.75" or 3"

Trans '83 T5

Rear R200 3.9 open

I am going for power up top and will more then likely end up with a compression ratio around 11.5-12.5:1. If I would be able to run E85, that is rated at 108 octane, solving any premature ignition issues. I know I can convert the fuel system to hold up to the E85, but will the carbs take it? Nickel plated injectors are required on FI E85 cars, but i'de rather stay with carbs.

I do not know how to tune carbs, but my best friend's dad is great with them and has agreed to help me out. Please let me know what you guys think. I'll be happy with setup as long as i put down 200hp to the wheels before 4500rpm...

thanks, Shane

If you set the carbs up to run on E85, then it will be tuned to run on E85 and E85 only. Switch to standard gas and you will be running too rich. Better make sure there are plenty of E85 stations in your driving area.

To answer your question, try some google searches. There are web sites that detail exactly what needs to be done to convert to E85. Not sure if they mention carbs, but probably do.

In fact, here is a good thread to start with.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id26.html

Don't buy into the magazine article, Chevy hipo, or whatever it was. They made a carb work, but far from getting the full benefits from the fuel, especially on peak hp numbers. You can't just swap to alcohol metering blocks (methanol) and expect it to work...not well anyway. AFR for e85 is not within the range of adjustment from methanol or gas hardware. Talk to these guys: http://aedperformance.com/ They are fast to respond to inquiries. They, and other carb guys are working on a specific e85 carbs.