HybridZ

What offset/backspacing do I need???

I really would like to order some weld draglites for the rear of my 280z MOnday or Tuesday but I really need some help with what offset/backspacing I need. I want some 16x8's. The car has stock fender flares and coilovers with the 8" spring. Can anyone help me on this? Also, anyone have any pro's/con's on getting the 16x3's up front? Should I go with a little wider?

Thanks alot,

JT

Guest Anonymous

Don't hold me to this, but I'd think you could go with probably 5.5" backset with coil overs. I have regular back springs and draglites in 15x7" that are 4.5" backset with about 1/4" between the spring and the inside of the tire. I think the draglites 8" with 5.5" backset would fit plus they'd be a .5" taller of a rim than I'm using, remember though to look at a total width on the tread, even the same size tire from manufacturer to manufacturer can be vastly different.

3"er's up front on the street is IMHO not a good idea, 3" tire will give crappy cornering ability and your braking will be handycapped with that small contact patch on the ground. If it was a total strip car only, it'd be fine. Actually I think the weld wheels as I recall cautions that the narrow rims are for racing only in the draglite series.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Get a second opinion! I'd do a search under 'weld wheels' or 'backset' or something, your bound to find the info as I know we've talked about wheels a infinite number of times... icon_smile.gif

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

• 2 years later...
Don't hold me to this' date=' but I'd think you could go with probably 5.5" backset with coil overs. I have regular back springs and draglites in 15x7" that are 4.5" backset with about 1/4" between the spring and the inside of the tire. I think the draglites 8" with 5.5" backset would fit plus they'd be a .5" taller of a rim than I'm using, remember though to look at a total width on the tread, even the same size tire from manufacturer to manufacturer can be vastly different.

[/quote']

Digging up an ancient post, but I had a few questions.

I want to run 15x8 Weld Draglites in the rear, I also would like to keep the stock suspension. Weld only sells the Draglite in 4.5" and 5.5" of backspacing. Which one should I use?

Lastly, what tires are you running with your 15x7 Draglites?

Thanks for the help!!!