HybridZ

loud turbo noise ? I think it died!

neorazz

i bought my 280zx (only 84K miles) it ran ok for two weeks even with the fuel leak im still working on fixing

then one night driving home the turbo just made a horrible noise like a pop can was stuck in it i let up of the throttle and pushed it back and yopu could hear the turbo sound like it was going 40K rpm then it was normal

now when i start the car it sounds like a marble being rolled around in a coffee can

my guess by the sound of it is that the shaft fell out of the bearing if that is possible it sounds like the impeller is just sppinning on metal and when it goes fast enough it bounces

the odd thing is it still half works

i have vacume and noise at idle if i rev it will go to 0 on the gauge but never into boost

now before the noise it would go to about hlfway between 0 and 7 boost

does it sound like it's time to replace the turbo ? can these be rebuilt if the shaft came loose

also these are a t3 correct is there enought room to hull out the inside and put in the t4 parts or are they using a diffrent housing

there is a shop about 30 minutes from here that rebuilds turbos and if i have to pull it off i want to make it better or replace it

what vehicles whould have a bolt on turbo that would work here?

any ($low cost$ the better) suggestions greatly apprecated

pull off the connecting tube that goes between the air flow meter and the turbo. Look inside the turbo and feel the shaft for play, or in your case look for metal chunks. If pieces of your turbo are coming apart, then that is going to enter your engine and do more damage. A turbo is a lot cheaper than a whole engine.

Yeah your compressor wheel is hitting its housing when you hear those noises. You will definitely have aluminum chunks and more than likely a nice puddle of oil in the pipe zguy mentioned. If you were only able to hit 3 or 4 psi then the bearings were shot from the start.

By the way, where is this shop that does turbo rebuilds? I spend a lot of time near Lodi and West Salem so it might be close enough to be of use to me.

as for how much boost my gauge reads in mmhg so it was running at 3-4 mmhg im going to look and see what that translates into in psi my beetle turbo read in bar and psi so i wasn't sure how that translates

edit found this

http://www.lenntech.com/unit-conversion-calculator/pressure.htm

soas best as i can figure maybe about 5 psi at best but at the time i was blaming the problem on leaky fuel injectors

i found a cross refrence for nissan turbos here

http://www.completeturboservice.com/documents/autolist.pdf

i have a turbo on it 's way in unknown condition

on this list it the I4420-P9002 this list says it's the same model but a diffrent part # it's off a 85-87 300zx i think that was before the design change right

this should be the one with the water cooling correct ? and should bolt on (i sure hope)

• 2 weeks later...

so i got the turbo it is the 85 t3 with the single carbon encapsulated seal

im in the process of rebuilding it

but in the mean time i got under the hood and worked at taking out the old turbo (goal being to switch them at the same time) ...

now i know why it sounded like a ball brearing rolling around in a coffee can.

the compressor wheel lock nut is gone !!! the compressor wheel was just spinning on the shaft loose ! theres oil everywhere and i havent found the nut yet but on a test i did on the dismantled turbo theres no way it could fit thru the compressor wheel without snapping a blade off so hopefully it will appear as i contine to work on this the compressor looks to be pretty bent up but intact (knocks on wood) hope no stray metal chunks got sucked into the motor

pictures of the carnage

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00404.jpg