HybridZ

280zx 5 lug conversion

Has anyone here done a 5 lug conversion on a zx? Modern motorsports dosen't make a hub for the zx so could a z31 hub conversion work? I would like to convert bolth front and rears to 5 lug and I plan on swaping in a r230 diff and half shafts so I thought a full 300zx rear end conversion could work but I don't know if it would bolt up the control arms or if the 300zx shocks would bolt into the 280zx. I'm not much of a suspension guy so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have Ross's 0-offset hubs on the front of my car, they are direct bolt on. I am using Power slot 13" rotors and wilwood cals. In the back I'm using 300 stub axles and bearings and cv adpt. flanges, 280zx cv shafts, Power slot 13" rotors and wilwoods also. If you go past 11.5" rotors you must use 16" wheels or bigger to clear calipers. Hope this helps. You can do a little junk-yard'n and use a lot of stock parts to achieve the five lug.

• 6 months later...

JP

I have an 83 280ZX. You linked me to a Modern Motorsport site before but it didn't appear to cover the 83 280ZX conversion to 5 lug. What all did you do to make the conversion? What year is your car?

Danj

• 2 weeks later...

On the front buy the 0-offset hubs from Ross, he has to machine a small amount from the seal area and this gives you the proper clearence that you need.Then you must buy a set of cobra rotors, these are 13" and this is what Ross's hubs are machined for.The last kicker for the front is you decide what calipers you are going to use and make brackets,, you may be able to use AZ for this. Give Steve a call, he is real good about talking to ya about his products and their apps. At the rear you need 84-87 turbo axles and the out-side bearing, because the 300 axle has more meat in this area than the 280.and make sure that get and use the bearing spacer. This is the 1/4" spacer that is found at the inside bearing. The second item is the c-v axle companion flange, there are 3 different ones. The one you want is 1/4" shorter than the other 2 and make sure that you get the 300's axle nuts.For the half shafts you are going to use the the 280zx turbos, or the 82-83 c-v type, they are the same and when the proper companion flange is used this will be a total bolt in except for the caliper brackets. I don't know the year of the 300,for the flange because when I went to the Z BARN to gather parts for this,Roger turned me loose in the yard and all these rear end ass. were all on the ground. I have opp. to use the cobra rotors in the back also, so again you have to make caliper brackets here to, don't know of any one who has done this but AZ makes a 4-lug kit for the rear, but I don't think the caliper brackets will work. I used wilwood calipers front and rear and bought a hyd. park brake from AZ. and still used the stock porp. valve. Beware if you already have the wheels you plan on using,not that the rear spacing changes, but because the rotor is so shallow, the caliper may hit the inside of the wheel, not the outer rim but the stud area.I bought BOYD C. wheels, and had to fill out a work order in detail about what I had. I basically ordered a wheel for a late model cobra,I don't use fender flairs and the wheels are just inside the fender lips. This operation took me about 3 weekends to do.And with the exception of making the caliper brackets, it was really straight forward.Hope this helps.Oh my car is an '80 model

• 13 years later...
2 hours ago, tradedsupraturbofor280zx said:

Okay, I just got a 79 280ZX. Is there any difference between 80 and 79 besides model year? also do I need to change the transmission speedo gear to be accurate or does it accomodate 16" on it's own?

Converting to 5-lug hubs has no effect on your transmission. Are you wondering if you change your hub pattern and wheels if it's going to affect your speedometer accuracy? Wheel diameter doesn't matter at all to your transmission either, only tire diameter. 

So I guess to answer your second question, there is no need to change your speedometer drive gear if you do not change the diameter of your tires. If you do change the diameter of your tires, no, the speedo gear will not magically know this. Your speedo will read faster or slower than reality, depending on if you increased or decreased the diameter of your rear tires.