HybridZ

Help with engine selection: F/I versus N/A

ktm

283z,

I would not be juding any engine based on ONE (potentially poorly) modified example, and I definitely wouldn't be comparing a 6-cylinder thats almost 50% more of the displacement with a 4-cylinder.

And as for tuning a(NY) forced induction engine with a (most likely old and out of calibration) narrow-band oxygen sensor; well it sounds like a first-class, thorough and trustworthy job you do there.

Dave

• Administrators
You don't need a wideband to tune it either. Yes a wideband will let you tune for max power but you can tune adequately with a narrowband sensor.

Cruise can be stoich or a bit leaner, and just run it a bit rich everywhere else and then just tune it over a longer period until you get max power, just like you used to do with carbs.

This approach is risky at best. There are probably a few, very experienced old timers that could get away with this ('cept they wouldn't bother with a narrow-band either). However, for most of us, its not the safest nor the most efficient path.