HybridZ

R200 swap question

sunburnt

I'm swapping out my stock 72 240z Diff with a 88 R200 300zx (LSD 3.7). The drive stock shaft yoke bolt circle diameter is smaller than the bolt circle diameter on the R200 diff flange.

The diff flange is not compatible between the R200 and R180 (different spline diameters).

What part is swapped out? A new driveshaft yoke?

Thanks for help in advance.

Yes, you need a new yoke from a 280Z or 280ZX with an R200. It is a simple part to change if you have an impact gun. Take the old one off, put some red loctite on the nut and put the new one on. The torque spec is ~150 ft/lbs, so I usually just put my gun on 5 and lay into it. The R200 does not use a crush sleeve so overtightening the nut is practically impossible.

From http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=708798#post708798

The parts list needed to bolt in a longnose R200 into a 240Z is as follows:

1. mustache bar from 280Z with R200

2. yoke (companion flange) from 280Z with R200

3. rear cover from 280Z or ZX with R200

4. side stub shafts from 280Z or ZX with R200 to bolt up to stock halfshafts

FOR EARLY 70-71 Z's only, you need 5 -7.

5. Longer 72-78 driveshaft

6. Curved transverse link that sits right behind the diff from 72-78 Z

7. Flip front diff mount around on crossmember

I read your FAQ about the diffs and it's great, but I still am unsure exactly what I need. Here is the situation. The car used to be my mom's car (thus the name). It originally had the R200 diff and 5 speed tranny. My mom got sick of shifting and wanted an automatic. My dad picked up an automatic car cheap (blown engine I think) and made the conversion. I wasn't involved in that project, and he's almost 80 now so his recollection is not perfect. He says something was different so they changed out everything. From his description they changed the whole rear suspension/third member as a unit, including the struts. I tried to get them to save the old parts, but eventually it all got sent to the scrap yard. This is long before I ever knew I'd end up with the car. Now I'm trying to get it ready for SCCA ITS competition. To be legal I need to not just swap a R200 back in but change everything back to it's original state. I have a guy with a 77 who will sell me the parts, but he doesn't want to sell me the whole thing.

So... here's my question(s), from the list below, I need (#1)the mustache bar, (#2) the yoke - would just using the drive shaft out of the other car work? You mean the rear yoke, in other words the chunk from the rear u-joint back on the drive shaft correct? Could I go to the parts store and just purchase the rear driveshaft yoke for that application? (#3) the rear cover from the r200 - won't it come with the diff? Is this for someone who buys one out of a different model car? (#4) stub shafts - so the half shafts from the R180 will work? but the little ones that pass through the strut housings will have to be changed out? This I totally don't get, if the half shafts will work why wouldn't the stubs? What do I need to make it original? Are the struts identical? How about the half shafts? If it's the same part it's legal, if it isn't but it will work it isn't legal even though it will work. I know no one will ever know, but I will and I want to be legal.

Also, I know numbers 5,6 and 7 are for the 240 because the diff was in a different place but is #6 the mustache bar (#1)? And will my diff mount and crossmember work?

Please HELP!!! This is the last thing I need to do to get this baby out on the track. I'm taking vacation this month to do the cage seat harness ect. I know at first no one will care if it's to the letter legal, but I want it right. I've got a guy who has the parts, all I need to know is what to get from him!

That list is written to include EVERYTHING a person could possibly need. If someone were to buy an R200 out of a Z31, they would need everything on the list. If they bought the diff out of a 280Z, it already has most of that stuff on it.

1.Yes, you need the mustache bar.

2.The yoke is the part of the differential that the driveshaft connects to. So if you bought a 77 R200, it would have the correct yoke on it already. For those who are installing the 300ZX diffs, they need to find a yoke from an earlier R200 and put it on their diff.

3. The rear cover from the 77 will work.

4. The stub shafts I think need to come from the R200, I think the R180 has smaller stubs with less splines. I haven't verified that personally, but I'm pretty sure.

Diff mount needs to be flipped around and the crossmember and rear transverse link will work fine.

Thanks Jon!!

I'm sorry for being so damn dense. So my drive shaft is OK? So the only thing I still don't quite get is that the stub shafts (these are the short ones that pass through the strut housings right?) And they need swapped out because they have less splines... making them weaker? But the half shafts are OK? (the ones that go from the diff down to the wheels)

I wanted to change the bearings in the strut housings anyhow, I guess this will be my chance.

Thanks again Jon, you are truely a gentleman and a scholar

Thanks Jon!!

I'm sorry for being so damn dense. So my drive shaft is OK? So the only thing I still don't quite get is that the stub shafts (these are the short ones that pass through the strut housings right?) And they need swapped out because they have less splines... making them weaker? But the half shafts are OK? (the ones that go from the diff down to the wheels)

I wanted to change the bearings in the strut housings anyhow, I guess this will be my chance.

Thanks again Jon, you are truely a gentleman and a scholar

Not a problem. :cheers:

The driveshaft is fine.

I believe the stubs that go into the sides of the diff (the part that the halfshaft bolts to) are different between the 180 and 200. So you need the stubs from the 200

The halfshafts should be OK.

Strut bearings??? Now you're talking about rear wheel bearings, but those shouldn't have anything to do with the diff swap. You should have the stronger stub axles, due to the fact that this is a 280. The wheel bearings are kind of a PITA, so search and find some threads about grinding away the peened nut on the inside of the stub axle before you dive in.

aaaAAAAA.. HAAaaa (light bulb finally goes on) You mean stub shafts as in the thingies on the side of the diff!!??!!!! That the half shafts bolt to... At the diff end of the half shafts OHHhhh ok... boy I truely am dense. OK so the half shafts are alright and the strut housings thingies (I guess they would be called spindles?) are alright. I just need to get the chunk from halfshaft to halfshaft. and the mustache bar.

I still want to change out the wheel bearings, I've read where they are a pain, but for this application I feel it is important.

Anyhow, thank you Jon! I'll leave you alone now.