HybridZ

aluminium blocks

ben240z

Serious engineering is required to build an all aluminum engine. You can't just make a mold and pour molten aluminum in it (remember the Chevy Vega?), and expect it to be durable. R&D engineers spend years designing all aluminum engines. Plan on lots of trial and error.

I remember the Vega fondly. GM just worked with unproven technology---this was the end of anything really experimental from GM (remember Turbocharged Air Cooler Flat-Six Engines....not Porsche....)

The Aluminum block in the Vega got a bum rap because the Nikasil Technology was in it's infancy. Properly sleeved from the factory, the engine would have been lighter than the iron duke, and just as reliable. But the all aluminum setup was chosen as a cost savings measure, and they decontented it just enough that a public used to cast-iron blocks and running water through it instead of anti-freeze just killed them wholesale...

It was a nice source for cheap FORGED aluminum pistons for Z-Cars, though...

I digress... The UK is the home of botique shops that produce all sorts of neat one-off things. If it was to be done anywaher, I believe the UK would be where it got done.

No dreams this side of the water my friend. Yes it would be nice to have a xflow head to sit on top of the block. Sadly as has been pointed out on other replies the cost of the block is not going to make it a viable proposition for shipping to the states so the blocks will most likely stay here. Thanks for the positive replies and I will respond t them when we have the costings finalised but doubt I shall waste my time here otherwise. cheers ben

This reply puzzles me? Are you saying that you are not going to bother with making an attempt at shipping the potential blocks to the U.S because of shipping charges might be high?

Thats like dangling the carrot and then taking it away? Please clarify your statement.

Yasin

Guest Pete1978Z

EBAYItem number: 110062241156rtCurve.gif

Somthing like these Tony? When I last compared specs it seamed like too much compression for a turbo application.But might work for an NA high compression bulid.

http://info.rockauto.com/SealedPower/L2206F.html

I was reading yours, 1fastz's & othesr older posts on the subject.

PS:Sorry did not mean to stary off topic