HybridZ

My new project! 280zt

biohazard53188

Tomarrow I will be leaving to pick up my new project car, its a stock 1975 280z in decent cond as far as projects go. The interior is stripped but ll of the parts are there mechanicaly. It hasnt been started in over ten years so I plan to clean the fuel lines, change the oil, change the battery and plugs as well. Hopefully I can get this thing to start up after a bit of work. My friend and I are going to swap a L28et into it or possibly a LT1. Im leaning toward the L28 because we will run into less problems ans still come out with a quick car with a good high end. Ill try and document what I can. Should be fun getting one more z back on the road to dominate the endless amount of civics.:lol:

Well, I picked up the car today with a couple of friends and found out it was a 76' not a 75'. Looks like I will be swapping the L28ET so it will smog ok. Anyway heres some pick of the car. Not bad for $275! First im going to replace all of the fuel system so i can get it running after 16 years, while fixing all of the rust and painting it.

DCP_2528.jpg

dcp_2525.jpg

Exterior is nice some rust here and there but all surface.

DCP_2529.jpg

Interior is all going to be replaced and floor pans are going to do the same

DCP_2532.jpg

This is what happens when the steering wheel locks up when removing the car from the trailer. Pushed my dad through a 10 inch wood post and snapped it in half and cracked my friends head all while bending the door hinge.

Just got our enclosure up for the car. It is a 20' x 10' so it gives us plenty of room to work in (at night) from here on out. Right now I am working on replacing the fuel system so I can get it started. The tank is going to get a wash in order to remove all of the reddish sludge inside. Also I think we are going to start sanding down the paint in order to get rid of all the rust on the body and give it a quck rattle can paint job to prevent from further rust. More Pics and vids soon!

• 4 weeks later...

So far we have changed all the basics, replaced various hoses, changed out some of the fuel components and tested some paint out on the hood which will be fitted with turbo scoops. We got the gas tank back from the boiler last week and just instaled it today (we are planning to get everything we need running before the swap). Good news is that the engine is turing over fine when we turn the key, bad news is that the fuel isnt getting past the pump. I checked the voltage and the pump is getting power so i think its just had its better days and its time to change it out. So much for us planning to fire it up today. Anyway heres some pics!

100_0422.jpg

The sunroof... not my doing but kind of stylish:confused2

100_0433.jpg

The hatch area after a good anti rust spray

100_0426.jpg

Why would an L28ET smog any better than an LT1? Technically both motors would have to be referreed to honestly pass smog, since the S30 came with neither a turbo motor or a V-8. (I guess the L28ET definitely LOOKS factory though)

Good luck! My 280Zt swap is coming along nicely. (don't need no steenkeen smog, man, I'm non-resident military!)

So your going to get it working and then swap in a complete l28et or make the l28e(if it had FI that year..) into a l28et? and ive seen another one of those in a junk yard with a sunroof in it... idiots, I hate that stuff.

We are going to get the current engine running first so we can learn more about the first gen z's and test all of the components that are going to work with the new engine once we swap it out