HybridZ

Thermostat Housing

cobraz240z

• 3 months later...

Old post, but will a 280zx thermostat housing fit on a 240z E88 head?

Broke both bolts trying to change the thermostat. Got one out on the bench and then snapped the easy out in the bolt on the other. I should have drilled the hole bigger #@$)&)!?!

Old post, but will a 280zx thermostat housing fit on a 240z E88 head?

Broke both bolts trying to change the thermostat. Got one out on the bench and then snapped the easy out in the bolt on the other. I should have drilled the hole bigger #@$)&)!?!

Yes. There are acouple of "extra" parts on the ZX housing, but nothing to be concerned with.

...will a 280zx thermostat housing fit on a 240z E88 head?

Yes. There are acouple of "extra" parts on the ZX

housing, but nothing to be concerned with.

You will have to use the upper ZX thermostat housing as well. It uses three bolts to secure it, whereas the earlier Z cars used only two.

yep, all thermo housings are the same 2 bolt through mount system to the head, with the difference being if the upper half is a 2 or 3 bolt design. as long as you have matching halves you can replace it to your hearts content.

a little playing around w/ a grinder can reall produce a cleaned up piece too, getting rid of useless areas of casting and whatnot.

do so w/ caution though, as some areas are very thin and easy to crack.

I think I acutually saved it. Getting ready to put it back on the car for a test. I ended up drilling around the easy out and through the bottom. I re-threaded it with a larger American thread bolt. Now lets see if it holds water.