HybridZ

4.3 in 280z

Guest bwalker

Guest bwalker

im in the army gettin ready to leave korea here ina few months and ive been saving a budget aside for a 280z build. i have 10000 set aside for the car, motor, suspension, and interior. i want to do a 4.3 vortec swap into a z. one reason i already have the motor and the second reason i can build that motor to 300whp or more for about 3500. how hard would this swap be and what transmission would be best with this swap. any info would be great. im still new to the z but im not new to building cars. ive built alot of honda motors for friends and several v8s also so im not new to engines. fabricating is still kinda hard for me but im learning as much as possible but it got put on hold when they sent me over here. anyways thanks for any info you can help me out with.

I looked into building up a 4.3 a while back for my blazer and what finally discouraged me from building that engine up was a selection of parts. I couldn't find a decent head to get the power I wanted. Porting the head and stepping up the cam would have only netted me around 300horse, respectable power but I wanted somthing more. A bow tie head flowed big numbers but it was a race head with 220cc intakes. It could be made to work but then you were limited by the throttle body fuel injection system.

If your heart is set on using the v-6 and you are on a budget I would think about converting it over to a carb.

I would never drive the Z in Korea, especially Seoul. Those people drive pretty crazy.