HybridZ

Stupid question on shipping

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

I am preparing to order my engine off of ebay(no I haven't purchased one yet), but I need to know something before I do. I know this is a odd question, but when the shipping company delivers my engine, do I need to have a forklift or a hand pallet truck of my own on hand to get the engine off the truck or will they have one? Basically I just want the engine put in the back of my truck so I can take it to my shop. All those who have ordered stuff off ebay; how does this work? I've ordered items before, but nothing of this size or weight.

In case your wondering, I don't have a garage where I live because the military constantly moves me around. However, there is an auto shop on post where I have all the tools and lifts I need at my disposal for free to do my work and a storage area for my car. I promise, I'm not an idiot (I think).

Thanks,

Scott

I am preparing to order my engine off of ebay(no I haven't purchased one yet), but I need to know something before I do. I know this is a odd question, but when the shipping company delivers my engine, do I need to have a forklift or a hand pallet truck of my own on hand to get the engine off the truck or will they have one? Basically I just want the engine put in the back of my truck so I can take it to my shop. All those who have ordered stuff off ebay; how does this work? I've ordered items before, but nothing of this size or weight.

In case your wondering, I don't have a garage where I live because the military constantly moves me around. However, there is an auto shop on post where I have all the tools and lifts I need at my disposal for free to do my work and a storage area for my car. I promise, I'm not an idiot (I think).

Thanks,

Scott

I would have thought that the easiest thing would be to have the engine delivered to the garage where the lifting gear is. The other option would be if the truck delivering the engine had a tial lift then the engine could be slid of the tail lift into the back of your truck, this would rely on the delivery driver being helpful!!!!!!!!!! If I was the delivery driver then it would not be a problem but then some people are jobsworths and will only do what the job description details.

Good luck. cheers ben

Ive ordered 2 engines from ebay. Both times I was required to have a way to offload the engine from the truck at the delivery site. Youd be better off having it delivered to the shop, unless you think your truck sits high enough for the tailgates to match up, and your not worried about the motor falling.

Heavy items on a pallet are usually much cheaper if you have it delivered to an industrial zone zipcode and onto an actual loading dock. If you or a friend work in a place where a truck can back up to a loading bay/dock where the truck floor is at the same level as the building floor; then they will just offload it cheaply there as part of a normal delivery. Then you are on your own with it and can place it on an engine stand with wheels if it stays there, or you can load it onto a pickup with a engine crane or a bunch of guys, etc.

• Like 1

I dont have much experience in receiving huge packages on paller like engines, but i can tell you this... It depends on delivery company that the shipper is using for example, Esties uses and lift on back of there trailer and dolly to move it into the facillity, DHL is similar depending on package size and there is many more. But they all require some sort of a bussiness address "zip code". Since its a semi that will be deliverying that package.

What you are trying to do is keep them from.

1) transferring from the bigger trucks to the smaller ones with the cherry

picker on the back

2) go off their normal industrial routes deeper into resential areas with the

smaller cherry picker trucks

These two things, obviously cost them, and then you, more money.

Guest Grenade300

Thanks guys, that helps me a lot. I will contact the shop on post and see if the engine can be delivered there (they may not let me, but it is worth a try). Then when I order the engine I will contact the shipping company and find out if it is a possibility for me to pick up the engine at their facility. From there I will decide what is going to be easiest.

Thanks again guys,

Scott