HybridZ

Need help selecting Megasquirt model

Guest QuantumDragon

Guest QuantumDragon

Hello, I am in the process of selecting an MS. I have been on their site and looked through alot of the info and whatnot. I am not new to wiring in standalones including mounting crank triggers, etc. I am nowhere near a newbie when it comes to tuning (I used to do it for a living), but I am a little confused just yet on the best model of MS based on necessity. I thought I'd post on here since I plan on doing a Ford 302 w/ TFI (from a 5.0 in other words) on a Z chassis.

From everything I've read I immediately jumped to the v3 MS II, but then it seems almost like the V3 MS I can actually do just as much with the "extra" software.

What can the MSII give us in this particular application that the MSI with the "extra" coding cannot and vice versa? I have no problem building the board myself nor paying for the more expensive MSII but I won't do it if it's not going to make any difference. A Ford TFI system on a 6500 rpm max vehicle just doesn't require a standalone that can drive chassis stuff, drivetrain stuff and an electronically complex ultra high rev setup. It's just a n old pushrod (with some boost maybe, ) and nothing complex. IAT, CLT, TFI, MAP, etc.

I am almost concerned that there are more features with the MS I due to the firmware upgrades some ppl have contributed. Who knows, maybe the MSII will have those as well soon or already do. The megatune/megasquirt documentation was a little vague, it seemed.

You do need a couple of jumpers for ignition control, but nothing major with a V3.0 board.

On a Ford 5.0, either one of these will need mods for fast idle control, as the Ford uses a pulse width modulated idle.

The only real advantage the MS-II will have in this particular situation is that it has the higher processor speed and more precise injector control.

I Believe Ultra Megasquirt will have a sequential option. But who knows when it will really hit the market.

The high resolution for big injectors is certainly worth it, I can attest after running 850cc injectors on my 2.0l Talon. I do not have the high resolution and idle surges most of the time.

BradMan, I think you've got it a bit confused...

MSI and MSII both have FIDLE outputs.

Both versions have the coil driver IF IT'S A V3 BOARD.

The MSII, unlike the MSI has an IAC DRIVER CIRCUIT (MSI only has FIDLE) You're still right about modding it to run PWM idle control.

I'm currently using both FIDLE and IAC on my '78 Z.

FIDLE is controlling my electric fan relay

IAC is controlling idle speed, through a jeep IAC motor and DIY IAC enclosure (though they made it wrong, I had to use the jeep body and the GM pintle for it to work!)