HybridZ

Interesting Idea....ABS?

Well, I am currently parting out a '97 firebird and with my desire to bring my Z into the 2000's I have been thinking of trying to adapt the firebird's ABS into the Z.

As I see it there is only one problem with accomplishing this...the wheel speed sensors. All other components would be cake to bring over to the Z. You could easily adapt the Brake Modulator (ABS), EBCM, Brake Combination Valves, etc...but the foreseeable problem is that the wheel speed sensors are built into the wheel hubs. These send a frequency to the EBCM, giving it information on possible wheel lockup.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to adapt these speed sensors to accomplish this?? An interesting idea nonetheless....

I have no idea for the front hubs... but I suspect that there is something out there. I will tell you that on my 96 Z28, I ran a Moser 9" rear with a Detroit Locker and I wanted to keep the ABS. I actually used a stock timing gear and had it machined to fit the front slip yoke of my driveshaft for a press fit. The number of teeth on it was nearly a perfect match to the number of teeth on the stock ring gear reluctor divided by the 4.10 gears I was running. It also required a small amount of clearancing to get the timing gear to slide completely onto the yoke and butt against the end of the yoke tightly. Then I relocated the stock rear ABS sensor to a bracket that I mounted on the transmission mount so it was about 1/8" away from this timing gear. It worked perfectly.

Jody

MVC-198S.JPG

The calibration of ABS/DSC/TC/EBD is extremely important. A good friend of mine calibrates the Bosch DSC for Australian release Fords/Holdens. He spends months recalibrating cars between engine changes (V6 to V8).

Not only would you need the calibration for the Z's static weight distribution, but for the Z's specific CoG, wheel base, brake calipers front and rear, brake master cylinder, etc which all effect the weight transfer for a given brake pressure.

Sure, it might work at a most basic level, but you could also end up spending a lot of effort/$ on a system with unreliable results.

Dave