HybridZ

Need some car stereo advice GMC 1500

JMortensen

I am not a car stereo guy, but my wife wants an MP3 player for Xmas, so I'm thinking, that's great and maybe I can get some kind of MP3 player in the truck too so we can have our entire music collection with us whereever we go. I haven't exchanged Xmas gifts with my wife in about 8 or 9 years, but this time I have a bit of $$$ to spend, so I want to do something nice for her.

So basically here's what I'm looking for and you can tell me if I'm smoking crack or if there is something better, etc.

Decent ~8 meg MP3 player that's light weight and can be used when working out (not married to iPod, think they're a bit overpriced)

Ability to plug MP3 player into car stereo

better door speakers for truck

small bazooka tube or sub of some kind

I figured this was going to run me ~$750 or so for everything... WRONG! Guess I'm still using 1990 stereo dollars, since that's about the last time I bought car stereo equipment.

So I started checking it out, and I went down to a couple stereo shops. My first thought was get a new head unit that has a plug for an MP3 player in the face. Looks like my GMC has the car stereo integrated into the door buzzer and alarm systems, so you can't just swap it out. One place had all the BS I would need to do it, but they were talking about ~$500 for the cost of the decent Pioneer deck which was around $200, the adapter piece, the part that fills in the rest of the hole in the dash (cause GM uses those tall stereos) and installation.

The stock speakers aren't really that great, so I was thinking of upgrading the speakers, and maybe putting a small 8" bazooka tube w/30 watt amp in the back. I had a 6" amped bazooka in my Toyota truck and It made a nice difference. I'm not looking for crazy loud stuff, but just something to fill in the highs and lows (I like hard rock/metal, not rap, so I don't need "rattle the neighbors' windows" bass. My truck has separates in the front, and the cost of separates was insane. I figure that a decent set of speakers would be fine, doesn't have to be separates. Just something better than the stockers, which can't handle much bass at all.

I got a complete quote with installation and everything for the stereo stuff, not the MP3 player, and it was $1000. I thought that seemed a bit high. The guy who gave me the quote also said there is a half-ass way of running an MP3 player to a stereo through the radio. I guess you plug the iPod into some sort of radio transmitter than tune into 88.1 on the FM dial. Sounds kinda hokey to me. Is that as bad an option as it sounds?

I was thinking of calling the GMC dealer to see if they have stereo head units that would be compatible. The guy at the stereo shop said he didn't think GM had any iPod compatible stereos and if they did they'd probably bend you over for one.

Any other suggestions for me?

Nevermind, I figured it out. You CAN buy an iPod adapter for the stereo I have. So I was able to get the stereo crap all together for about $220. Went with some Boston speakers. The iPod adapter was $140, they talked me into the actual iPod stuff because you can get all the accessories for the iPod that you can't for the other brands, it will charge in the car, etc. I still need to figure out what to do about the tube. I'm thinking of getting that 30amp bazooka I saw this morning, it was $99, but I don't really want to do the install (hate electronics and wiring), so maybe I'll have the store do it for me. According to the guy at Crutchfield you just need to bridge the rear speaker wires to get a signal for the sub. I know I've done similar stuff before, but I'm still a bit hesitant to try and do it myself. Maybe I'll have a look at it when I install the iPod adapter thingy...

Well even though you seem like you've got it figured out jmortensen, I'll offer my .02 cents. Do not use the AM/FM transmitters, they SUCK for good sound quality. I used an iGriffin for about a year with my iPod and it drove me nuts. What you can look for is a CD head unit with the red and white analog input, then run a simple cord from there into your iPod or MP3 player's head phone jack. I did that with mine a couple of years ago and am pleased with the results. I have a 95 Chevy crew cab, with dual 10" audiobahn's in the back, as well as new tweeters, and new door panel speakers. While sound quality is nice, my biggest complaint with this is the rear speaker panels are notoriously known for SHAKE, VIBRATE, and BREAK since they are made from plastic. While, you may not have a problem or as big of a problem with the Bazooka, its something you might look into insulating that area when you replace speakers. One more thing, an 8 meg MP3 player will not hold very many songs at all, maybe 5. An 8 gig would be different and could hold a decent amount of soungs. I personally am a fan of the iPod's they've been around and have most of their bugs worked out, but also because I'm a Mac user. You might look into a Zune, or getting a used color screen iPod from apple.com . Just some thoughts,

Tyson

Nevermind, I figured it out. You CAN buy an iPod adapter for the stereo I have. So I was able to get the stereo crap all together for about $220. Went with some Boston speakers. The iPod adapter was $140, they talked me into the actual iPod stuff because you can get all the accessories for the iPod that you can't for the other brands, it will charge in the car, etc. I still need to figure out what to do about the tube. I'm thinking of getting that 30amp bazooka I saw this morning, it was $99, but I don't really want to do the install (hate electronics and wiring), so maybe I'll have the store do it for me. According to the guy at Crutchfield you just need to bridge the rear speaker wires to get a signal for the sub. I know I've done similar stuff before, but I'm still a bit hesitant to try and do it myself. Maybe I'll have a look at it when I install the iPod adapter thingy...

Yea, I have an '02 Silverado, same thing. The stock head unit is actually a pretty nice unit, but the speakers are crap. it's pretty easy to peak them out, bass response sucks. One of these days I'll replace them, but so far they have held up....

I have an MP3 player too, and for long trips I've been using the transmitter type of interface. It works OK, and sounds OK, but not great. If you get in an area with a station that's even half way weak, it starts to break up and goes in and out. I have to keep switching stations (I can use 88.1, 3,5, and 7 on mine) until I find a clear one.

I know there are a few interfaces through the AUX channel, one of these days I gotta just pick it up. They sell it at Fry's too, and it just plugs in. It's like $129 or something though.....and that's why I still use the transmitter!

Worst part of the the transmitter is that is uses those stupid expensive camera batteries.....like $7-8 a POP!!!!