HybridZ

Urethane rear control arm bushings

I have now disassemled the rear end of my '70 240Z. I am about to order new bushings and Spindle pins. I note in the MSA catalogue that they have urethane bushings for the control arms. I was going to order the spindle pins from MSA and the Energy Suspension bushings from Suspension restoration. Does anyone know if the mSA urethane bushings are comparable to the Energy Suspension bushings. it would obviously be easier to order from one supplier. Also, it seems that the control arm bushing at the differential side should be urethane but the spindle pin bushings appear to only be rubber. Am I correct and is there a reason you don't use urethane for the the spindle pin. Thanks to the subscriber who recommended using a propane torch to remove the spindle bushings. I took the first one out using a hack saw and chisel and then remembered the Hybridz comment about propane torch. The first one took be an hour. The second one fell out after heating for 2-3 minutes with my benzomatic torch.

Thanks, john G

I bought my polyurethane bushings and spindle pins for my '71 from MSA and I believe they are comparable to the Energy Suspension bushings except they are black. So, yes, I used urethane on the spindle pins as well. They are a bit different than stock because the bushings are two piece with a center steel sleeve that the spindle pin goes through. They've been on the car now for a couple of years with no problems.

Guest KraZ4spd

What ever you do, make sure you get the graphite impregnated bushings. These are black due to the impregnating process. You will not regret the buy. The regular urethane bushings tend to squeek a whole lot.

I've had urethane bushing squeek on toher cars but honestly so far th eEnergy ones in my car have yet to peep at all. I've been pretty surprised too since th eamount of grease they provided was a joke! If anyone buys their kit buy an extra tube of grease too.

Hrm, didn't someone say they were going to find out the name of some grease that could be bought cheaply in bulk for this awhile back? Anyone ever find that?

Guest Anonymous

I've got energy's in the front, and on the sway bars, the only time mine makes any noise is going in or out of driveways, they squeek a bit then due to the torque being transmitted through the sway bars coming off the curb unevenly. I have the black ones, the rest of the time though, I don't notice it at all.

Regards,

Lone