HybridZ

won't start...

I have a 1981 280zxt and it was running fine until I decided to put a boost gauge in. After I put it in I didn't have the right size hose to fit over both the gauge vacume hose inlet and the intake vacume hose outlet. I needed an adapter. I just rigged it on there yesterday until I could fix it today. On my way to work this morning I was doing 70 and the vacume hose fell off the intake manifold. The drive to work and back was a total of one hour. This made it barely stay running. I was going to fix it when I got home but when I went to leave my friends house after work the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't even turn over. Just a one initial click. No starter trying to turn over or poor running engine. Any suggestions? I think it may be a bad relay but don't know which one.

If the battery is only two weeks old and the headlights work then you have a bad connection to the starter or the starter might be bad. I'd check your battery cables first.

I checked the connections to the battery terminals and they are on good and tight without any corrosion to prevent a good connection. I tried jumping the starter and it wound up with the car in the off position but when I put it in the run position and tried to jump the starter nothing. The thing that sucks is that the started is only four months old but at least it has a lifetime warantee.

Thanks Momz same to you. The problem with the old cars is that nobody keeps parts in stock or makes new ones. So until they make a new one I'm stuck with rebuilt garbage. It sux too because evertime I have to get it replaced I have to repaint it and wait for it to cure before I can use my ride :( That was the problem BTW, the starter.

The problem with the old cars is that nobody keeps parts in stock or makes new ones. So until they make a new one I'm stuck with rebuilt garbage. It sux too because evertime I have to get it replaced I have to repaint it and wait for it to cure before I can use my ride :( That was the problem BTW, the starter.

Yah but if you know your stuff, you can ussually get what you need. I've had pretty good luck thus far by knowing my cross reference between Z's and zx's/other nissan models, even if the parts store guys are stupid.

"sorry, theres nothing in the computer for a 75.. the 83 probly won't be the same starter.."

"Yes, it will work, trust me"

"well I don't know... "

"Look.. I have a 1989 240sx tranny, an 81 distributor, and an 83 rear diff in a 75. I know what works. It'll bolt on. JUST ORDER ME THE DAMN PART!!!"

:lol:

And so on... If I were you, I'd take the thing apart (assuming you have an old one?) and see if you can rebuild it yourself. I've done this several times with starters, distributors, ect. Really it's all just nuts and bolts stuf and I've found ussually it's one little thing that wears out or was assembled wrong during re-building..

Yah but if you know your stuff, you can ussually get what you need. I've had pretty good luck thus far by knowing my cross reference between Z's and zx's/other nissan models, even if the parts store guys are stupid.

"sorry, theres nothing in the computer for a 75.. the 83 probly won't be the same starter.."

"Yes, it will work, trust me"

"well I don't know... "

"Look.. I have a 1989 240sx tranny, an 81 distributor, and an 83 rear diff in a 75. I know what works. It'll bolt on. JUST ORDER ME THE DAMN PART!!!"

:lol:

And so on... If I were you, I'd take the thing apart (assuming you have an old one?) and see if you can rebuild it yourself. I've done this several times with starters, distributors, ect. Really it's all just nuts and bolts stuf and I've found ussually it's one little thing that wears out or was assembled wrong during re-building..

I know what you mean. The good thing is that most of my parts have a lifetime warantee so WHEN they go bad I just have to figure out what it is and get a rebuilt one shipped.

My car is like your car I've got a 82 Turbo motor in a 81 non turbo body, with a Z31 fan/fan clutch, hooked up to a 83 non turbo tranny with a 83 digital dash and a soon to be installed late 80's Z31T ECU.