HybridZ

finally found my engine

if you want to go past 400hp, stroke it out to a 383.

I think u'd be happy just cleaning it up and get some fresh pistons, some nice aluminum heads, a matching cam, and a nice intake setup. U'd prolly get a nice 120+ hp right there. other than that it can get alittle pricey depending on the deals you find. I don't know ur budget, but start with heads, cam and intake (if ur bottom end is in good condition)

I agree. As far as the first gen stock 350 goes...it's a dog. Why not ptich in the few hundred extra bucks and go with the stroker? Way more torque, more HP. As far as I know, the only down side is a redline at smaller RPMs due to the longer stroke its self. Best SBC in my opinion.

As a past owner of an '87 GTA w/ the 5.7 TPI,IMO,it's one of the coolest looking engines to stuff in a Z.Dan Juday popped in a 305 W/ the TPI and just looks sweet.So as far as appearance,way cool.Performance,well,the bone stock 5.7 was rated at around 225-245 hp way back in 87-89,plenty of tire erasing low end,but not a high revver.Either way,no matter what powerplant you choose,$$$=horsepower.There are plenty performance parts for these 5.7's,as well as for the LT,and LS,so I think it just boils down to personal preference.Good luck w/ the build,and keep the handful of us with the oldschool TPI's updated on your progress.