HybridZ

260 brake booster upgrade

I know I probably have overlooked the info doing my search. Can I, and is there any advantage to, swap a 280zx brake booster for the 260z booster. I know I can upgrade the MC but without the 280zx booster being in my hands to test I didnt know if i can use it as well? I'm using a SBC with auto so no clutch cylinder to get in the way...

A bigger brake booster will not reduce the stopping distance of your Z. All the booster does is to reduce the pedal effort by increasing the force applied to the master cylinder.

Brake boosters are carefully chosen for their application. A bigger booster than what is needed will only allow you to lock the wheels up more easily when braking, and that is not the best (or safest) way to stop a car.

Another issue is that the brake booster needs a certain amount of time before maximum boost is applied. Remember you are dealing with the movement of air to one side of the diaphragm in the booster. The larger the booster the longer this time is. This is why you never see a booster on a true race car. Racing brakes need to develop master cylinder pressure as soon as the driver presses the pedal.

The only time it is OK to go bigger is when you are increasing the diameter of your master cylinder. As increasing the diameter of the master cylinder will result is a increase of pedal force (for the same amount of fluid displacement).