HybridZ

Ignition source... will this work?

Nismo280zEd

So I have my MS all taken apart infront of me trying to track down why it won't read the ignition signal anymore (previous thread) and I'm looking through the MS instructions testing stuff and I get an idea of something I had a while back. So I go over to the MSnSE site and look at distributor mode for ignition. This require locked dizzy and it says it can use the signal from a VR sensor and fire the coil directly.

v3layout-crank-trigger.gif

So I'm wondering... can I use the Sensors in the stock 77 & 78 dizzy as a trigger for the MS? and have the MS fire my coil as the diagramn shows? instead of getting a turbo dist.

-Ed

Yes, you can. If you have a V3.0 MS, you can connect it like your diagram. You can also use a GM HEI module to trigger the MS. You can then either use another GM HEI module or a VB921 to drive the coil.

From Moby's FAQ:

8239mss_vr_schematic.jpg

Great news! Thank you!

I'm not sure which one I will try maybe both as the HEI module is fairly cheap.

-Ed

BTW... I used to have an article before i had to reformate my drive... It showed what the signal from the VR in the dizzy was supposed to look like on a scope. Is is supposed to be a saw tooth or a square?

A VR signal looks like this:

Also, I am willing to cut you a deal on one of my 83 280zxt distributors. All you have to do Is drag your A** down here and get your tranny.

-Oliver

Oh yeah... I forgot about the tranny. Damn... I coulda done that during my vacation. I'll have to make a trip down there with a friend. Olie... you have the shaft to match the dizzy?

yes, you can use E12-80, but you still need to lock the advance mechanism. Yes, you can use a VB921 for the driver as long as you are running a V3 mainboard (or a modified V2.2). It is probably easier to use an HEI module than retrofit a VB921 to a V2.2 mainboard.

It would seem to me that the top hei module could be replaced by an E12-80 and the bottom replaced by the onboard VB921...

For that matter, you can replace two four-pin HEI modules with a single seven pin unit. My Dodge Dart has a Mopar VR distributor hooked up to a GM HEI seven pin module (I'm using a V2.2 board, so I don't have a VR conditioner).

and what would the be the benefit from running the E12-80 as opposed to HEI module or just off the board? Is one more accurate than the other? Seems like the nissan module would be more costly.
Using the E12-80 eliminates the need to mount another module. Good solution for someone whose been collecting Datsun parts for years. I've got 6 or 7 ZX dizzies in a box.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, you can. If you have a V3.0 MS, you can connect it like your diagram. You can also use a GM HEI module to trigger the MS. You can then either use another GM HEI module or a VB921 to drive the coil.

Ok.. so if i go this route.... I don't have to solder in the VB921 coil driver, all i have to do is...

"If you are not using the IGBT high current driver circuit, but want to use the MegaSquirt-II output to control an ignition module (7 or 8 pin HEI for example), jumper JS10 to IGN to bring the signal out on DB37 pin #36. You do not need a pull up, the processor port has one enabled already (at 5 Volts). Skip ahead to step #66."

then figure out how to wire via 4 pin or 7 pin HEI module?

EDIT... found this over on megasquirt.info

ew7hei.gif

anybody have it wires up this way with stock VR dizzy? Does this wiring work with MSnSE?

OK sorry guys... doing some late night research after all the college work is done... I'm going to use an HEI 8pin as it seems they were designed for external coil used ignition where as most of the 7 pins were coil in cap ignitions. Plus i like the idea I can use connectors on the 8 pin. Anyway... so according to the megamanual... the wiring is the same as the 7 pin except for G which is ground... ok no big deal. Just wanted to confirm this will work with MSnSE code before i shell out 70 bucks or so for the 8pin module and connectors.

-Ed

The MSnS-E setup for a seven or eight pin HEI module is a little different. You'll have it controlling both the E and B pins:

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#gm7hei

I have an HEI ignition working with a Mopar Lean Burn distributor on my Dodge Dart. Just have a seven pin module bolted to my inner fenderwell. The HEI system works with a lot of different VR sensor based distributors.

Update... the best prices i found for the pigtails was from partsamerica.com was 38bucks but 8 bucks shipping and 3 bucks tax cause they are in texas... bummer. I'm going to get the ignition module from the local orielys so that when it breaks i can bring it back under warranty. 57 dollars from them with lifetime warranty.

Another question... do the wires going to the MS from the module need to be shielded to avoided disruption?