HybridZ

presoaking the timing chain?

I got asked if presoaking the timing chain assemblys a good IDEA?

its a fairly comon practice, that fills the micro pores in the metal with lubricant and tends to prevent gauling on a true roller (CLOYES)new ,dry timing chain durring first starting the engine and

drilling a .032 hole in the lifter gallery plug behind the cam gear will also help the life of the chain by getting more oil to it when the engine is running

marks_lined_up.jpg

Ive always dropped the timing chains and gears in a pot ,covered them with synthetic oil/marvel mystery oil and heated them to about 212F a (1/4 tea spoon of water in the pot boiling off) indicates its done and ready to take off and let cool......does it HELP? well it certainly doesn,t hurt, and its one more way to prevent potential problems, but I can,t say its mandatory

BTW YOUR new DISTRIBUTOR GEAR COULD USE THIS TREATMENT and cutting a grouve to spray extra oil sure helps wear

p106762_image_small.jpg

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB64&Number=1360418&Searchpage=2&Main=1358314&Words=pre-+lube&topic=&Search=true#Post1360418

Hmm... how deep do you go on the dizzy drive gear?

The groove is not on the drive gear itself, but on the casing portion just above it. I imagine that going down far enough to be even with the "tube" portion is deep enough, but maybe Grumpy will enlighten us. I like this trick because it is so simple, but makes sense and should be effective.

Davy

dremel or file or hacksaw, they all work, I generally try to get it about .040 x .040 , but get close and youll be fine,youll need to mark the distributor so you know exactly where it fits so it sprays oil directly onto the center of the CONTACT AREA,BETWEEN THE CAM AND DISTRIBUTOR gears, but Ill also point out that cutting the grouve in the block dirrectly above the gear prevents your turning the distrib and getting the oil squirting where it won,t do any good.