HybridZ

will everything work right?

typhoone

okay, it is official, taxes will be here in no time flat, so I have to put my planing into overtime. I finally found another 300zx that has a running motor. basically I just need to make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt (that's why I am making a post along with doing searches) that the 84 turbo and the 86 turbo had THE EXACT SAME MOTOR/TURBO/TRANNY/ECU etc. what I am planning on doing is just yanking the motor out of that car and putting it in my 86.

also, what all should I do to make sure everything goes well with this transplant? anything that needs to replaced?

Finally, does anyone make a rebuild kit for the vg30et? I couldn't find one. if not, does anyone have the parts I need to rebuild it that they would like to sell?

thanks for all help and input

-typhoone

The 84 turbo is only oil and air cooled( like the 280zx turbo), hence the air scoop. the 85 just had it for stylish reasons I guess... It shouldnt be a problem if your going to change it. I think 85 and up is oil/water cooled... im not sure I just know it has something else other than oil and air. Other than that its all the same.

not sure about the rebuild, just no kits for it, just have to order custom pistons and junk...

with the cooling part, will that be a problem when I go t3/t4 hybrid? or will it really matter after I get an intercooler? also, I went to google and typed in 300zx rebuild kit and actually found some. don't know how reliable it all is, but the prices seem to add up to what I found when I priced individually, and it said it was for the vg30e motors so maybe they are worth a look.

yeah, they had stuff for the 8.5-1 compression ratio. so all should be pretty good. just wondering, how long do you think it would take to yank this motor and put it in the other car? I have never done this before, so I am trying to prepare the best I can.

haha I couldnt get my intake plenum off... guess im mechanicly challeged... I didnt try that hard tho. egr wouldnt come off... plus my allen wrench for the bolts in the middle of the plenum was too small and I couldnt find a direct one so...

all I would suggest is to bag a label where screws go and stuff like that... small parts that you wont have any idea where they go... wish I did when I took my bumper off lOL but i got it back on with different screws LOL...

well, things might be a little easier than I thought since I am now only getting the motor/tranny/ecu and not the entire car. lol. less work for me. just wondering, since these have the same transmission I should be able to just use the one that I get from him already bolted up, and all that fun stuff. that way we can just put it in and wire it up and go vroom vroom, right? hopefully after that I will be able to start actually workin on performance stuff. I have been waiting to do this for months now, and it is almost here. :-) just another month plus shipping time and then it will all begin.

Guest goeatpaiste

It shoudl really only take you about 5 hours max to get the engine out. Pulling the engines in these cars is easy. I pulled the engine out of my celica alltrac in 5 hrs and that involved removing 4 driveshafts and dropping the engine down under the car to get it out. the Z is easy easy easy, whether you leave the tranny in or take it out. I removed an NA engine in 2.5hrs from an 86. You will have to change or modify the harness slightly for all the new/different sensors associated. The 84s have less than the 86s.

Why do you want to replace the turbo with a T4/T3 hybird? Garrett will refurb the 84 T3 with a new turbine wheel for 400 bux, and it will be good for ~400hp. Honestly fuel upgrades would be more important, such as new injectors. Even the 84 replacement injectors are too small to max out hte stock T3, especially intercooled runnin 14psi.

stevo

oh yea, and i do not believe the trannies are the same. 84 had a borg-warner T5. 86 and up used a nissan part IIRC.

because i really don't like the way the 84 is cooled, but i might not have to worry about that, i just got off the phone with a guy in N.C. who has an 85 z with only around 60,000 on it and he has done ALOT of work on it including going t3/t4 with a turbo from a Grand National, and he is asking a really good price for it. the interior is shot, but that's no biggy since i want to put some nice racing seats in it and get the interior custom done anyway. If i get it it will be around the middle of Feb, which isn't that long off. As soon as i get my taxes i would have it and then be able to begin on the good stuff. :-)

theres been no proven advantage to having water cooled center cartridges on turbochargers. My t3/t4 in my 280z turbo is just oil cooled and owrks just fine and so did the oil only in my 84 300zx AE. I didnt see a turbo crossmember on your list of things too pull from the parts car. This is a crucial item to your turbo swap as is the driver side engine mount. Long as you take the harness out of both cars and swap the 86 harness in the 02 sensor shouldnt be a problem, gl with the swap. peace.

The benefit of having coolant cooling the turbo is it prevents coking of the oil which will likely make your oil last longer and even more importantly make the turbo last longer. You also generally don't need to let the engine idle for the turbo to cool off when its water cooled compared to when its not (this goes back to the coking of the oil).