HybridZ

Hyperco springs

Never heard of Hyperco springs, but I can get them in a very wide range of spring rates (from 85lbs-1000lbs) and 8-12" lenghts, 2.5" ID. Anyone heard anything good about these? You can also get them in 2.25" ID. All spring rates and lengths are $133.99 for a pair. Is this a good price? I would like to get my coilovers done over christmas.

Oh yeah, they say the springs are made with 9254 Silicon steel, and are finished with epoxy powder coat.

!M!

I haven't heard of Hyperco, I deal with Hypercoil and Eibach. Both are powdercoated and of fine quality. Eibach's red and hypercoils are blue generally. Hypercoils are guaranteed to stay within 2% of original free length and spring rate for lifetime. As for cost, Hypercoils are similar price and likely less than what your hyperco costs are. I usually look at package cost which is typically $400 retail for a full coilover setup and I include shipping. I'm extending special pricing (below $400 icon_wink.gif )for Modern Motorsports prior and new customers to thank them for their committments and several are combining their coilover setup with CV adaptors or rear disk adaptors to save further on shipping for which their coilover cost is further reduced.

(CV's intended to ship by Xmas or within a couple weeks thereafter and rear disk has a very similar timeframe)

I may have some pics up tonight of some various colour sleeve combos and lengths availableif I have time to update my web, recent kewl colour was long blue sleeve/gold lower perch/red spring/aluminum top perch.

Hyperco is hypercoil .

the company is hyperco and the spring is hypercoil.

some larger company just bought them out last year or so and the name changed then.

almost all springs (coilover ) are guaranteed to not change rate. a springs rate never changes but the free length may. this is not guaranteed.

" a springs rate never changes but the free length may"

Free length can't change from it's original value without an internal change in the springs properties (surpasses elastic yield limit and plastic yield is introduced?), modulus and thus spring rate is influenced as well. One can't change (ie. free length) without spring rate changing. That's my guesstimate.

It is rate and free length that hypercoil guarantees BTW. Both are tied to manufacturing tolerances (+/- 2%).

Ross (hoping I don't have to dust off my physics books....Pete.... icon_wink.gif )

Actually, I think it's entirely possible for you to have the same rate after the free length changes. The rate depends on the number of coils, the wire diameter, the overall (average) diameter of the spring, and the modulus of the material. If you plastically deform the spring (take it past yeild) it will shorten (in free length and compressed length at a given load) but the modulus will likely not be disturbed one bit.

Hmm, can't say for sure but hunch says once elastic limit is surpassed (even if only slightly) and plastic yield is incurred then the elastic modulus must alter somewhat .......perhaps TOTALLY inconsequential and perhaps wrong but it was all tied in an M.Eng. elasticity course I audited for a bit last year.

> If you plastically deform the spring (take it

> past yeild)

If you do that to a suspension spring, chances are your entire car (and possibly you) has been plastically deformed as a result of the accident that occured right after you deformed the spring.

quote:

Originally posted by johnc:

> past yeild)

If you do that to a suspension spring, chances are your entire car (and possibly you) has been plastically deformed as a result of the accident that occured right after you deformed the spring.

OK, so how does an OEM spring get 'soft'/weaker, it's spring rate has definitely changed. Plastic yield does not have to be any great deformation/failure.....happens in materials/soil etc all the time.

quote:

Originally posted by johnc:

> past yeild)

Agreed, John icon_biggrin.gif A spring will be a good bit stronger than what the suspension is mounted to icon_biggrin.gif

I think its a terminiology thing. When I see the the term "plastic deformation" I think of a single sustained stress that moves a material beyond its yield strength. As designed a suspension spring should never reach the point of plastic deformation. Springs are designed to work within the material's range of elastic deformation.

I guess you could call spring sag plastic deformation, but I think its something else related to fatigue.

"I think its a terminiology thing. "

Agreed, I can easily see your side. The soil under your house foundations is constantly undergoing plastic and elastic deformation at the same time (ie. if the full foundation load was removed their would be some elastic uplift/return reaction and that settlement not 'recovered' is plastic). Same thing occurs in similar scales with most other materials. Plastic deformation CAN (not saying always) easily be a small amount and elastic can still carry on well beyond that initial elastic.

Happy Holidays to all icon_smile.gif

John, Ross, I think what you see when a spring sags is CREEP (to change shape permanently from prolonged stress or exposure to high temperatures). Or someone using grinding tools or a torch and taking the temper out of the steel so that it DOES go plastic locally.

I agree with John, any good spring design will have a good factor of safety on shear stress so as to stay in the elastic region.