HybridZ

Driveshaft setup?

rudypoochris

I am doing a Ford 302 into a 240z. I have an 85 N/A 300zx R200 which I am putting a powerbrute into, the 85's drive shaft, and the Ford driveshaft. Basically I am wondering if it makes sense to have a shop cut the two shafts in half, or whatever the desired length is, and then weld them back up. Or is it better to simply have the driveshaft shop do it all themselves? I would imagine the first option is a bit cheaper, has anyone had strength issues going that route?

On a side note... I noticed the 85 R200 N/A 300zx has a rectangular pattern imput flange... is that a weak spot? It doesn't look as beefy as the 300zxt's round flange at all...

Thanks!

A drive shaft shop will retube it if you bring them in both peices. Given your displacement though, you have a decent amount of torque. I don't know what size your front u-joint is but while you are at it I would replace the rear flange with one to use a Spicer 1310. It's a bit larger than the tiny Z u-joint and if you drag race or bang gears you'll be glad you did it. Most broken u-joints bend the ears and then you'll be doing it again. The flange isn't much, around $40 and you can get them for either Nissan diff pilot diameters.

I agree with the 1310 rear U joint, that's the way I went with the adapter flange. You use the Ford drive shaft (if it fits the trans end), the drive shaft guy will shorten it and put a new rear yoke to match the 1310 rear U joint. Push the trans end yoke into the trans all the way and pull it out about 3/4 of an inch to measure your length. I would not suggest this as a "do it yourself project" it needs to be right the first time.

Thanks for the help guys. Let me see if I am understanding...

SO the 300zx U-Joint at the differential side is the weak one which should be replaced with a Spicer 1310? Does that U-Joint just fit in no problem? Or does the flange need to be changed/modified. Is the tranny side U-Joint on the Ford T-5 driveshaft strong enough? Thanks!