HybridZ

LS1 Z32 plan has come full circle, need input

So after debating with myself again and again and going through several financial scares where I would have sold my Z32 to help save my father's business I've come back to Earth and am excited about my new LS1 project. I sold my old one as a work in progress, but I found another donor to start again on, but unluckily I'm don't have access to my father's shop...

I've come to the conclusion that as far as fabrication goes I'm going to have to pay for it. I don't have the fascilities or the tools and I don't have any friends in the trade. :( I'm going to pull the motor and trans and strip the engine bay myself and go ahead and cut the firewall and peel it back so the trans will sit correctly. Now here comes the input I need... I'm going to have to find the right fabricator in the MacDill/Tampa area, but can anyone give me a round-about price here? I just need motor and trans mounts, trans crossmember, driveshaft, and have the shift linkage modified. I couldn't see more than 2 days of labor. (at the most, if I had the tools it would take me an afternoon. :( )

The electrical part is easy... I'm a network engineer by trade, so I've done my share of wiring splicing, tracing, and ohming.

Can anyone help me out on this one? I've never had to source out my labor.

Thanks in advance,

Clayton

if you go the cruise control route, check out rostra ;p too easy to set up nowadays...

one more question for you, are you planning on integrating the engine room harness into the LS1's PCM/EFI harness so that all of your original features work? just deleting the nissan efi harness if you will... and if you do, can you pm me a plan, as I'm researching this same swap, and have only wiring harness questions remaining :P

I was under the impression that the Datsun FI harness (Drivers side harness from ECU/Relay, Resistors, engine, injectors, coil, and lines to battery and fuseable links) and ECU were not needed for a swap.

See:http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111179

I am sure I need to run some additional wires to where it plugged into the ignition harness under the drivers side dash, and figure out how to make the fuel pump relay work.

I will post my pics later today.

Greg

i got a price quote for similar work from a socal fabricator shop... $50/hr for 5 hours of work. that was assuming i delivered the car completely stripped to the frame, and had the ls1/t56 on hand ready to be shoved in.

that's also not including a driveshaft. measurements will be taken, and given to precision shaft for a custom carbon shaft later...

hope that helps

i got a price quote for similar work from a socal fabricator shop... $50/hr for 5 hours of work. that was assuming i delivered the car completely stripped to the frame, and had the ls1/t56 on hand ready to be shoved in.

that's also not including a driveshaft. measurements will be taken, and given to precision shaft for a custom carbon shaft later...

hope that helps

Can you be more specific on what is the work involved that required 5 hours? To me custom make the engine mounts and trans mount alone will take 5 hours to a day or even more depends on the design and the car. Cutting the fire wall, move it back and weld it back in will take longer than 5 hours already.

as far as i know, it was cutting & rewelding the wall/tunnel, fab'ing engine mounts, and a modified trans crossmember. this was also not just one single person. 3-4 people would be used. i'm guessing the price quote is because i've had prior experience with this shop before :)

* also, like i said, this was assuming the car was delivered as just the frame w/ the powertrain ready to be installed. the entire firewall doesn't have to be pushed back. about 3" of the surrounding edge of the transmission tunnel has to be cut, and 3 new plates forming a new tranny tunnel have to be welded in. the fab shop said this would maybe take 2 hours. this would also allow for all of the stock heater/ac ducting to be retained. if you look @ van's ls1/z32 install, you'll see what i'm talking about.

Hey, I was just doing some researching on alternative trannys, and found that the tremec tko-600's dimensions are significantly better than the t56... not a bad priced tranny, 600lbft capable, lighter, and probably won't require any *major* firewall/tranny tunnel modification... pretty win/win right there

• 1 year later...