HybridZ

Updates on QWKDTSN

Have been away from my car for a year.

Flew down on Saturday. Got to work on the V8Zedcar on Sunday. Inflated all the tires, discovered that the battery WAS in fact disconnected (thank goodness!) and started it up. She still needed a jump. Water was OK in the battery, a bit low but still definitely covering the plates so I guess after a year of disuse she just needed some extra juice. Started up kind of rough. She sat for a year with only a tiny splash of Sta-bil in the tank so I expected the carb to be completely gummed and the gas to be worthless but after a couple of minutes of rough running and a run around the block everything smoothed out and warmed up.

Since then, I fixed the diff mount with the polyurethane swaybar mounting kit method (A+++++!!!! Fooking awesome!) and she is running fabulous. :) I have driven her a lot and have taken her way further than she's ever been in her life. For a long time I had cooling issues that kept me from driving her more than a few miles from home but she's great now. She sounds amazing for an American V8, an incredible rasp at the top end.

I finally gave in and ordered a Pro-5.0 shifter and Jegs slotted shift knob for her. I used to love the long-throw, nostalgic feel of the stock shifter but after driving my Audi S4 Avant with a short-throw shifter for the past year coming home to the long-throw Audi just felt awkward. It comes tomorrow and I can't wait to bolt it in.

I had a serious Oh-Scheisse!!!!! moment today!

I was ripping up to Dave Turner Motorsports to shop for some heat-reflective material to wrap the wiring bundle that's running along my passenger-side header. The plastic wrap melted a long time ago, and while I think the wiring is fine, I don't want to risk melting the wiring with a lot of heat over a long time period. I got off the 52 onto the 163, accellerated HARD in 3rd gear to redline, shifted into 4th.. Somewhere in there I heard a loud clink-tinkle, like something coming loose and bouncing off the underside of the car. I instinctively looked in the rear-view and saw nothing but SMOKE! Moments later the whole car was filled with white smoke! I killed the engine and coasted off on the exit I was already planning on taking, and had enough momentum to round a corner and pull into a parking lot.

I jumped out of the car with my heart pounding and my fire extinguisher in hand (thank god I decided long ago to carry one with me!) I popped the hood pins and found no fires anywhere.... thank god. Looking under the car I saw a steady stream of oil pouring out... oh no! :( That was my first reaction until I saw where it was coming from... the empty oil pan drain plug hole! The oil plug was gone!! That explained the tinkle-clink sound of a bolt falling off! The oil had streamed right onto the hot exhaust and was burning off. Thankfully I killed the engine long before any damage could occur.

I was within 1 mile of JBA Motorsports so I literally ran down there and bought a new drain plug and 5 quarts of synthetic blend. They lent me a crescent wrench and I got my baby back together. It sure was scary there for a while!

I didnt' end up finding a good heat-wrap for my wiring so if someone has something they can recommend, please let me know. I don't forsee anythign bad happening but the plastic shroud that's melted makes me worry.

Other than all that the Z is running awesome. I need to get different speedo gears because the Autometer speedometer is running about 20% fast at all times (making my odometer read high, too). I also need to get a new alignment since it's a little squirrely at speed and pulls to the right, apply POR to my rusty fuel-cell enclosure, and get bigger brakes, and get the interior lighting working properly, and get new door seals to tighten up and quiet the cabin, and get a roll cage, and some fender flares, and some bigger wheels, and......... Well, it never really stops, does it!! :D I love this car!

Yikes! That had to be a scary moment for sure. You're luck nothing caught fire. I watched my Sunbeam Tiger burn up the engine compartment after the fuel pump over pumped the carb, not a fun day. And no I did not have a fire extinguisher with me, I always carry one after that.

For that wring loom stuff you might look at this.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/?target=dept_90.html&gclid=CPfTlsrz2okCFRE9FQodIFd__Q

Love love love the Pro-5.0 shifter! Super high quality, perfect fit, and it's got an amazing direct feeling without being too notchy. Just the right 'length' of the throws. It keeps the long shifter but the throws are nice and short and solid!

I got a slotted Jeg's knob which is pretty nice. Over an extended drive it might beat up your hand. Driving gloves would help. For short drives it is fine as you can rest your hand comfortably on the top part and the slots no doubt help traction when you're really pushing the car and can't tolerate any slip-ups while shifting.

After driving my modded S4 Avant daily I think my Z needs more power. It makes fabulous noises but I think it'd do well with some aluminum heads and another day of dyno tuning. I'm really not looking forward to putting the Z back under the cover again when I go back up to WA state.

555-61502_thumb.jpg

813-P3050_thumb.jpg