HybridZ

transverse link spindle

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

The spindle that holds the A arm to the hub assem. Is there a trick to get that out? lol. I removed both lock nuts (one each side) and the center one. I tapped it with a rubber hammer and it doesnt move. I dont want to use a reg hammer and mushroom the threads. The book shows it just coming out by hand so I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something. Anyone WHO HAS ACTUALY removed this and could give me the key would be lovely, thnx.

Guest TeamNissan

I guess thats what the puller program is all about lol der der. I'll check autozone and advanced and after they tell me they dont have one I guess I'll get in line.

Pulling spindle pins is a right-of-passage in the 240Z world. Its your final step in becoming a "Datsun Man." You need to pray to the God's of corrosion and ask them to be kind to you. You need to purchase amulets and offerings in the form of Liquid Wrench, WD40, Mopar Rust Penetrant, and others. You need ceremonial tools like hammers, air hammers, hydraulic presses, pullers, drill bits, screw drivers, combination wrenches, and others. And most importantly, you need to chant the sacred spindle pin pulling words. The list is here:

http://www.erenkrantz.com/Humor/SevenDirtyWords.shtml

It's kind of funny that this thread sat for two or three hours before anyone piped up. Good luck my freind, like John said, you are about to become a Zcar man or move on to another hobby. Spindle pin removal can be as easy as a few taps though usually not unless someone has removed them recently and can be a nightmare resulting in a destroyed strut housing. By the way, the pins are available new from your freindly local Nissan dealership in case you destroy yours. They are about 35$ bucks for both including new nuts and washers. Coat them with neverseize so they'll come out easier next time. I beleive this process has actually been credited with the invention of a few new cuss words. Oh yeah John, you forgot one important ceremonial tool... the RED WRENCH... (acetelyne torch) Good luck Luke... and may the force be with you!

I got one out using a big hammer.

The other I used a really big hammer on to no avail. Right now its at a shop with a torch and a big hydraulic press. They did say that they're not responsible if they destroy the hub. I have 2 as spares if they destroy it.

Guest TeamNissan

I got them out, I threaded a coupler onto the one end to protect the thread then torched and 5lb hammered the hell out of it to get it to move. Once its moved a little I took the couplet off and used a thick set pin and again the 5lb hammer to pound it home.

Its a tie score, I got both out but a bashed my hand and burned my arm lol. J2:Z2