HybridZ

280z turbo runs rich

sfpar

Hello all. New Z guy here with a few questions.

I have a 1978 280z w/ 82 turbo engine. Ignition, ECU, AFM, injectors are all 1978 z NA. I am intercooled and just running stock boost currently.

I have read through the archives and there are many things to check. I have checked nearly all and the car still runs pig rich. I tried to use the turbo injectors but the car would not run at all with them in. I have a plan that may solve the issue and also give me the increase in power at the same time.

I am going to swap out the AFM one more time (have one sitting around) and see where that goes. I have purchased the 60mm tb upgrade and will install for more airflow. I doubt seriously that these will be that much of a remedy.

My plan, since I want to be able to get to 300hp with bigger injectors, is to go ahead and get the SDS fuel management. I'm thinking that I might be able to lean it out or richen it up through tuning and just forget the old ECU and AFM. I know it's a bit pricey but I need a simple install system since I seem to be the only turbo swap in the Cincinnati, OH area. BTW, I tried talking to some local dyno/performance guys and they have never dealt with Megasquirt at all.

Does this seem like a logical approach to get where I'm trying to go? Is there something I may have missed or not tried other than previously mentioned? Thanks very much.

• Administrators

I'm thinking that I might be able to lean it out or richen it up through tuning and just forget the old ECU and AFM.

Sure could... else they might be out of business :wink:

I know it's a bit pricey but I need a simple install system since I seem to be the only turbo swap in the Cincinnati, OH area.

SDS is not pricey. EFI Technology's 'top-shelf' is $25K... its all relative :wink:

BTW, I tried talking to some local dyno/performance guys and they have never dealt with Megasquirt at all.

Not surprised... also not a disappointment. My opinion?... seriously consider what your local shop's are using.