HybridZ

Turbo and NOS???

nscason

I don't have a turbo charger on my 77 280 and eventually want some serious power. I do know that it is cheaper and more beneficial to go with a turbo. I don't want to dump a ton of money into my motor that is n/a right now when i can do the turbo thing and get way more power and cheaper. my question is can you use NOS with a turbocharger set up? I watch the power block on spike TV religiously and i have noticed that the different drag racers are n/a, super charger, turbo charged or NOS powered. I have never seen a set up with both turbo and NOS on it. Is it possible or does it not work for some reason? this has nothing to do with my car for now. it was more or less one of those random thoughts. Anyone have any ideas?

Guest 280ZForce

Yes, you can use both. Hell I've seen twin-turbo, super-charged engine w/ nitrous!

It just all requires good tuning...must have the required afr's to handle whatever you decide to throw at it among other things.

wow thats really pretty. thats exactly what i imagined that it would look like on my motor. how much did it run for all that nos plumbing and did you do it yourself? what do you mean by unforgiving and how much does it cost to refill a nos bottle anyways? would i be able to put that kind of setup on a daily driver? or is that a high maintenance setup?

Unforgiving is running lean under N20, could be some simple as a broken wire after a couple hundred drag launches.You can run a turbo nitrous motor as a daily driver.It just depends on the HP level you want, if your looking at 500HP to the wheels your going to have to invest some money, in order to do it reliably.If your looking for 350rwh that can be done with stock parts and done with a much smaller budget in mind.Do some reading in some of the stickys in the turbo forum and a basic nitrous setup done correctly can be done for about a grand.What comes to mind for a basic setup would be a 280zxt to a z31zxt ecu conversion a stock turbo motor and turbo and single fogger wet system with a methanol injection system instead of an IC (or mabey both it gets REALLY HOT where you live) and use the methanol as the fuel for the N20 as well.

The video is my car with an over 200hp shot of N20 to the wheels and a small T4/T4 turbo.

thanks for the info. you sort of lost me in that last part. i dont know all of the nos or turbo lingo. i do understand the very end. my question is, is methanol and race fuel thats 111 octane the same stuff? there is a gas station that sells the 111 octane stuff around here. or is methanol completely different? I would need a secondary fuel sorce or a second smaller fuel cell for the nos stuff right?

oh and the Hp numbers you gave me was that with the nos included? I would eventualy like 300 to 350 just on the motor. I do have a stock 77 n/a set up. thats as far as the head, block, pistons, cam... is concerned. but i do have almost all the bolt ons that you can get. to go turbo would i be able to change the cam and just bolt on the rest and have it give me more power? or do i have to rebuild the motor for a different compretion ratio? its the only car that i have to drive and i cant have a lot of down time.

It would depend on the horse[power level you want to run?The best way I have seen to run nitrous is adding the fuel at the injector.With a wet shot a 50-75 hp should be safe using a single fogger about a foot away from the intake tract.The safest way to run nitrous in a wet system is using a port system and to run the fuel pressure for the nitrous above 60 psi, I would use methanol as the fuel from what I know now.