HybridZ

What are these holes?

dimsum

I have an L24 block. The picture shows the front (fan) end of the passenger side.

Can anybody help me identify the two holes circled in green? They are the same size and thread pitch as the intake/exhaust manifold stud holes. When I bought the car, nothing was attached to these holes.

IMG_4655-sm.jpg

Specifically, I want to know if I can put a screw in those holes and use it to hoist my engine out of my car. Any ideas? I am hoping to attach the chain to one of these holes and two manifold studs on the driver's side to lift the engine. Is that a good idea?

Also, what is the plate circled in orange? Does the hoop serve any purpose?

Thanks.

Green is where the Lifting Eye goes for removing the engine (on later models), so YES, you may lift from there. On the earlier models, I believe all that was there was a fuel rail stanchion.

Orange is where the mechanical fuel pump attaches (on non-fuel injected models). The plate itself is not used on later models with power steering, as the power steering pump mounting bracket takes it's place.

Green was also used for the York style a/c compressor mounting bracket. I still have studs in my block for this. Pay attention to the back lifting bracket (if there). It is attached by the last exhaust manifold stud. It will pull out of the head stripping the hole on the way. I'd suggest using the upper bellhousing bolt instead. That is provide the strength needed and then some. That bracket attached to the fuel pump location is for lifting the engine.

I used the front bracket and bolted the chain to a rear intake manifold bolt. Worked great for the two engines I pulled that way. The intake was still on so I had to make a bolt to fit it. Wasn't hard, the head bolts are the same thread pitch so I cut it down a bit and welded another bolt head on to make it the right length.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8712&cat=500&ppuser=7958

In this pic you will see what motor hook should be there for lifting the motor. Using the hook that is bolted to the front of your motor now should be ok, I just don't know how level it would be and I would check to make sure the bolt holding it on is as long as possible. I never have liked the idea of bolting a chain to the motor/head, but I have done it before will no ill effects.