HybridZ

280zx brakes with 84 300zx rotors

hey my buddy just gave me some 280zx calipers

and i have a set of 300zx rotors and hubs, does anyone run this combo, ive fit them together and it looks ok as far as fitment, is a spacer needed

or am i just kidding myself???? any help would be great. thanx yall.

I have that combo on my car using the 82-83 calipers. My car is a 71, so I am not sure if the install applies to any other years as I know the hubs/hats are different.

1st, the rotor diameter needs to be cut down a tad. I do not know the exact spec, I just gave it to the machine shop and they took care of it. The main difference is that with the stock brakes, the bolt that holds the caliper bracket goes through the bracket and threads into the hub. With these calipers, the bolt threads into bracket, so the threaded hole in the hub has to be precisely drilled to pass the bolt through it. It is really only a matter of cleaning off the threads, but I say precisely because you do not want the hole too big for the bolt to move around. Once that is done and you go to mount it up, it requires a spacer. In the case of the 71, that was a couple of very thin washers.

HTH.

I ran this combo for many years, but to be truely simple, the hub must be from a 240z (identified by the half moon cut-outs between the wheel studs on the outer circumference of the wheel flange). These hubs have a thinner flange which allows the calipers to be bolted on with only a minor spacer (about a .100" washer in general) required. Then with about .125" radius reduction on the rotor, you will be in good shape.