HybridZ

New stroker almost ready!

LOOKS GOOD!

BUT,whats the piston to valve clearance on both the exhaust and intake valves?

YOU did check ALL the clearances...AND VALVE TRAIN GEOMETRY ,DIDN,T YOU???

Id really hate to see you go to the work and expence and get screwed by forgetting too check everything before starting it up!

its 90% in checking and verifying & correcting all the details, durring the assembly that results in a decent engine and less than 10% in getting it done fast

I'm actually waiting on my -.100 push rods to come in. Mine are a little long and have the roller a little far to the exhaust side of the stem. Once I get that right, I am going to check my valve clearance. My machine shop guy has all the tools I need to check using a the light spring and an indicator method.

That's why it's "almost ready". I don't expect a problem there, let's hope I'm right or will be doing some disassembly.

well? any progress??

It's alive! Fired it up and did the break in sat evening. Did some tuning yesterday. Have to play with the jetting, has a hesitation in the "blip". Checked the piston to valve clearance and have at least .120. How much time should I put on it before re-adjust the lash? Sound good right now.

Have to play with the jetting, has a hesitation in the "blip".

richen up and prolong the carbs accellrator pump shot and then check the plug color & (gap at about .043) (slightly rich and dry plugs)and a/f 12.6-12.8) ratio to see if the jets need changing, then VERIFY the IGNITION CURVE and TOTAL TIMING, ID stay under 38 degrees for now

Checked the piston to valve clearance and have at least .120.

thats good if you checked both the intake and exhaust

How much time should I put on it before re-adjust the lash?

nows good!,... get it correctly tuned and take it out for first impressions test drive and shakedown , run it up to 5500rpm a few times under hard accelleration,then change the oil and filter

Sounds good right now.

time to play,test,tune,adjust

Thanks Davy, actually, the tunnel ram is sitting on a shelf right now. I was having some tuning issues in the colder weather and decided to pull it for a while. Took my first ride out of the neighborhood last night, jetting is still off, plugs look really rich, but it feels really really strong already. Pretty excited!

??????

any more progress?

test drive impressions?

etc.??

Drove it to work friday, cruised around during lunch, all in all put about 70 miles on it. Motor feels good, revs smoother than the stock 350 (and faster). I can tell it's stronger already, cant' wait to uncap my restrictive exhaust and see what she does. Still trying to get this holley 750 dp dialed in. When I first fired it up I was getting about 10 lbs of vacuum at idle, now it is hanging around 5 which of course had my power valve staying open and running rich. I put a lower power valve in it as a quick fix but figure something else is wrong for the vacuum to be that low.

Question, when setting the idle screws on a 750 dp, do you treat the ones on the secondaries the same as the primaries?

With regard to idle screw, definately, they are the same. You should be adjusting idle speed with the secondary butterflies not the primaries, that's a common mistake made with cams such as yours and later model holley carbs. It's possible to uncover the transfer slot and have poor idle and low vacuum if the butterflies are open too much on the primary side.

With regard to idle screw, definately, they are the same. You should be adjusting idle speed with the secondary butterflies not the primaries, that's a common mistake made with cams such as yours and later model holley carbs. It's possible to uncover the transfer slot and have poor idle and low vacuum if the butterflies are open too much on the primary side.

Interesting. So, do you close the front butterflies all the way or is it a balancing act between the two. I am not in front of the carb right now but don't remember seeing and adjustment screw on the secondaries???

If it has 4 corner idle then it has an adjustment screw. It doesn't look like the one on the front, takes a small allen wrench to adjust. With the carb off the car and holding it up to the light the primaries and secondaries should be close to the same as far as opening. Just slightly cracked, probably .015 of an inch or so is a pretty good starting point. I really like the 4 corner idle with big cams.