HybridZ

Common ground and stabilizers

Guest TeamNissan

I used a grounding kit for my old z's (90 300zx/ 90 300zxtt) and I definatly noticed a dif. I dont believe the ground kit actualy adds hp but it seems to make the engien run alot smoother. I guess it depends on the car, 300zx's are a pile of snakes. I would asume the benifit would be less for a car that has less to ground out.

I cant speak for voltage stilizers but the theory makes sense to me lol.

• Like 1

I strongly suspect it has to do with how strong your battery and alternater are as well as the size/condition of your wiring. If your voltage drops at high RPMs due to a weakness in any of these, a voltage stabilizer MIGHT improve spark inensity/consistency.

Not necessarily. It's important to have battery cables that can easily handle all current demands but yours are probably just fine provided you're not running extra loads on your electrical system such as a hefty audio system. Just check them for condition and oxidation/cleanliness/tightness at the connecting points. I certainly would not use cables smaller than 6 gauge... 4 is even better.

There can be other issues such as size/length of wiring to the ignition components as well as contact problems there too. The battery can be too small or weakening or perhaps the alternating isn't quite charging it to full potential.

The best way to tell if there is problem is to check for a voltage drop at the ignition power input at full RPM. If the voltage is consistently above 13 volts, it's fine. Voltage stabilizers won't help unless it regulates the votage higher than 13 volts and only if your ignition perfroms better at this higher voltage. If this is the case, the ignition system needs to be redesigned.

Just my opinions here...

So, what you say is, I should just go with bigger Bat cables???

If your charging system is running "properly", your voltage should never drop below 14 volts with the engine running. In my opinion, FWIW, the charging system should be beefed up at the weak points before adding extra gadgets. After all the regulator will absorb even more current and release it in waste heat. Just something to consider. This said, there may be rare times when a regulator is actually necessary.